Water in all the wrong places??

jnorswor

Cadet
I have a 1974 mec 500 (50hp serial 4071969)

I went to replace the impeller, and when I removed the lower unit there was greasy sand every where. there is sand all up in that cavity where the lower unit and the upper unit connect that large cavity where the copper tube leading up is.

My first instinct was that the seat on the water pump where the copper tube sits was mis aligned but I dont' think so. I blew air threw the tell tale port and plugged the end of the copper tube and there was very little pressure, there was a leak some where. Is this normal?

There is also another Port in the upper unit that sits into another seal in the lower unit, I am unsure what that is but it is about as big as an air conditioner duct in a car, That seal was moved around but I am unsure if it was when I removed the lower unit.

My lower unit gear oil showed signs of water, but it wasn't as much as I thought it should have been buy the amount of sand on the out side of the water pump.

I am sorry for the long post but any help in cleaning this mess up would help. How can I get the sand out from both the upper part and the lower unit.

jnorswor

Cadet
Re: Water in all the wrong places??

okay so the the thing that looked like an air condition duct turns out to be the exhaust...I am learning. I used a degreaser and water to clean up the upper cavity and the lower unit.....mistake??? who knows right now this feels more like a blog than a forum.
I also have a hard plastic piece that is up in the upper unit where the shift shaft goes, this piece is shattered. A name for that piece would be helpful.

I am still concerned about the copper tube. if I force air through that should it all go through the pee hole??? I am loosing more than I put in somewhere. any suggestions would be appreciated

I am looking for what is normal here....

jnorswor

Cadet

the shattered (shadoobee) piece is called the reverse lock cam part number 433081. I can't find it anywhere

jnorswor

Cadet

okay so I talked to a boat mechanic and the stainless piece is what she said I needed so I ordered it....turns out that the stainless piece is the piece below the black plastic piece in the unit. so when the lower unit is installed, the stainless piece is right below the black plastic piece (both pieces are on the shift shaft).....I need to know what the black piece is called so I can order that part since that is the broken piece. I can't find it anywhere

Attachments

• shiftshaft.jpg
    shiftshaft.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 0

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

maybe take that pic to your local parts dealer and you might be able to find it looking at their exploded-view diagrams.

erniex

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would say that the black plastic piece is the shift shaft alignment insert. It fits into the bottom of the midsection and holds the upper shift shaft in alignment with the shaft from the lower unit when you reinstall the lower unit.

Hope this helps.

EE

jnorswor

Cadet

Thanks for the responses,

it was the push rod guide, part # 52917.

I finally got the lower unit back in and for future reference, If the damn exhaust gasket is backwards it wont go back in. So check that before trying to spend a day and a half aligning the drive and shift shafts. Water pumps and prop turns, couldn't ask for much more.