fuel pump pressure

freddyray21

Commander
I am at work and don't have my manual with me. What is the fuel pump pressure on a 1972 Mercruiser 120? I think it is about 3.5 psi? Mine went out and I have a marine rated electric pump at home that is I think 4 -7 lbs.

freddyray21

Commander
Re: fuel pump pressure

I did manage to get home and look at my manual. My manual says 3.5 to 4.5 lbs so I think 7 will be too much.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Also, there is some additional wiring for an electric pump to make sure it only runs while the engine runs.

freddyray21

Commander

just wired to the ign terminal on the key and not the accessory side should work fine.

ziggy

Admiral

just wired to the ign terminal on the key and not the accessory side should work fine.
i ain't the pro. but question that statement. while it will work, i think it needs to be wired into the oil pressure sensor so that the fuel pump only runs while the engine is running. if it's wired as stated. if a fuel line breaks and the key is on, fuel could be leaked under pressure into the bilge..... that don't sound good......

i think just replace yer fuel pump with the proper oem one.... imho.....

180shabah

Rear Admiral

No it won't. The pump will run whenever the key is on, whether the engine is running or not. It needs either an oil pressure switch or wired to the alternator. See below.

i ain't the pro. but question that statement. while it will work, i think it needs to be wired into the oil pressure sensor so that the fuel pump only runs while the engine is running. if it's wired as stated. if a fuel line breaks and the key is on, fuel could be leaked under pressure into the bilge..... that don't sound good......

i think just replace yer fuel pump with the proper oem one.... imho.....

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

combustible liquid pumped into closed space with air present and source(es) of ignition... don't they call that a bomb?

freddyray21

Commander

I did just go with the oem as the cost of retro fitting the electric pump right brings me up to the cost of the oem.