Alpha 1 Gen 2 gets wacked off the reef

1newfish

Recruit
Hi all, Got a 5.0 efi 240 hp driving an alpha one gen II / 1:62-1 in a searay bow rider 200 year 2002. It was a nice boat untill i Let a mate use it and the plonker ended up on the reef James Bond style.

The lower unit is smashed at front (hard to see in pic), bell housing smashed and gimble ring smashed.

In order to fix it 007 has sourced an alpha ??? drive s/no. 0B534839 with on outer transom plate attached. see attached pic

From information i have gained from this very informative site i think this may have been made between 83-90 and will not work on my boat as the inner transom will be different and the gear ratio will be wrong as it was on an old 4 cylinder motor (Decal is missing I will check the letter on the U joint and count the teeth when i next get the chance)

---Anyone know what year this 0B534839 drive is ?

---Is it an alpha or an alpha 1 gen II ?

---What other type of damage should i look for other than the gash in the hull ie engine damage, power steering rack , gimbal bearing damage ?

---Will an old alpha work as good as an aplha one gen II ? (that had been working brilliant) ie shift good and be as reliable and robust. Boat is used for wakeboarding, skiing etc.

Brgds

FLX

Attachments

• alpha 1 gen 2.jpg
    alpha 1 gen 2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 0B534839.jpg
    0B534839.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Alpha 1 Gen 2 gets wacked off the reef

You need to get Gen II
Merc only went by serial # for a longtime and didn't list the years.
The one he found could be an MR,R or Alpha one at the latest

Inspect everything! Take it to a shop preferably.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

I'm not going to say that you Can't make that older drive work,....
But,.....
Your life will be Much Easier if you go back together with the Exact Same drive as you Had.....

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Welcome to iboats newfish, where are you located?

Another possibility would be a new upper/lower/complete drive from SEI. They are much less expensive than the merc pieces but I don't know if they ship overseas. Also, you would still need to get gimble housing/ring, transom shield etc. as needed.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

An Alpha off a 4 cyl. will have 1:93 or 2:0 drive ratio. Your S/N would indicate an Alpha 1, Gen 1 around 1987. I say this because my 86 S/N starts with 0A.

Check ebay, or like stated, get a new SEI drive. I have one, and it works great. Also check ebasicpower for the gimbal ring and bell housing.

Is your transom mount in good shape? If so, you might want to replace the gimbal bearing and bellows since it will be apart.

It is going to cost some money, but fix it right. Don't try to mix and match those older parts.​

rndn

Commander

Let's see, you have an 02 Alpha and your "friend" is trying to replace it with an alpha from 1987? Doesn't sound like much of a friend. I would make him get a brand new Alpha outdrive for you.
I am assuming you don't have and insurance policy to file a claim against?

1newfish

Recruit

Attachments

• Actuator ram  end, pin.jpg
    Actuator ram end, pin.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Lwr unit.jpg
    Lwr unit.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 0

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I don't know what the big worry is - I'm sure you can just slap some JB Weld on there and you're good to go!! :D

attachment.php

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I am a VP guy so am not up to speed on all the manifestations of alpha's, but what about SEI drrives? You get a NEW drive with warranty instead of a used unknown drive from ebay.

www.sterndrive.cc

M