water pump psi within range?

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
I have a question I am hoping one of you might help me with. The question I have regards the amount of pressure the water pump should be able to generate under normal circumstances at both mid-range rpm's and at WOT.

According to the 0-30 psi scale pressure gauge I recently installed via the water port located near the thermostat housing ontop the head, midrange rpm's 2,500 to 3,500 rpm is around 7 psi. 4,000 rpm's about 12 psi and WOT reads around 15 psi. As far as flow rate goes, cruising between 3,500 rpm's and 4,000 rpm's (boat speed 24 to 27 mph) a close estimate of 300 to 350 gph of water is smoothly discharged (without influence from exhaust gasses)from the pee holes loctated on the upper motor leg. How much water maybe discharged out the exhaust port (single exhaust) while at cruising speed is an unknown.
P.S., the temperature of the water being discharged for the most part remains at the 115 degree rating of the thermostat and does so pretty much regardless of engine rpm's and load.

Your help as always is greatly appreciated

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: water pump psi within range?

Don't know what the discharge volumes should be.

But the water pressures you stated are right on the money.

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you very much for your help Roscoe! Much appreciated!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Temp would vary depending on the bypass.Wether it's functional or blocked.
As long as you pump good water you'll be ok.If you run in salt water it will clog quickly. But don't worry about that.The motor will function without them.Jerry