Johnson Dual Line Fuel System?

Basher

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Everyone,

I have a fairly big problem. I have just finished stripping, painting, and installing new gaskets and diaphragms in an old two line tank. When I went to screw in the old little brass fuel and air nipples one broke. I have searched my parts number guide and have come up blank.

Does anyone know the part number or where I could get a replacement nipple. I have already tried NAPA and Auto Value (both located near my home in Calgary, Alberta, Canada) neither carried anything like it.

Basher

Basher

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Johnson Dual Line Fuel System?

Hey Again,

I have a possible number for the nipple #303172. Can anyone confirm this. I got this number from the nipple on the intake manifold assembly.

Basher

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Alberta? Canada? Don't they have polar bears there?

And I'm not sure if they're different nipples or not but does the tank have the black plastic push button or the shiny metal pushbutton?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Part number is 301820. It dates back to 1953-ish and is listed as still available. But the price is about $25

Basher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It is a silver push button.

Here are some pics, I am not sure why but the flash has changed the color on the side and top down views the tank is red color as seen from the side.

Basher

Attachments

• nipple upload.jpg
    nipple upload.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Top Tank Upload.jpg
    Top Tank Upload.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Side Tank Upload.jpg
    Side Tank Upload.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 0

Basher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Samo

No polar bears here lol but I here there may be a igloo or two near ottawa, say hi to your dog sled team for me.

Basher

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I date that tank as 1954. 1955 had the nipples cast in and the hose ears were part of the top casting. 1953 had a different shape of the tank shell. 301824 is still the nipple part number.

Basher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I date that tank as 1954. 1955 had the nipples cast in and the hose ears were part of the top casting. 1953 had a different shape of the tank shell. 301824 is still the nipple part number.

FR

Can you check that number again. When I asked marinemanifold.com about it they told me the part # comes up as a 10pk of o rings.

Basher

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Oops, sorry about that. I gave the correct number in my earlier post. It is 301820. You are right, 301824 is the o-rings for the twin hose fuel connector.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Touche.

Basher, that's a nice looking tank, did you paint and re-decal it?

Basher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Samo

Thanks! Yes I stripped, repainted, re-decal it and installed new diaphragms and gasket. I am working on a 6 Gallon now. Thanks to Peter at NYMarine for the paint and decals. By the way I am also presently in the process of repainting a '56 FD-10 you might recognize from my other post. Please Check my other thread (Rebuilding a Johnson Seahorse FD-10) for pics of the cowl, finished paint but still need to do the decals.
Wade

Basher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, so I located a new nipple but they wanted $20 for the part and $35 to ship the piece up here from the States.

So long story short I went on line and found a really beat up tank on on ebay. It looks as though someone had used it a ladder and dented the whole side in. Got the tank for $9.99 and $25 for shipping, but it has a good handle.

Now I have another tank already a 6 Gal. but one of the ears was broken off of the top.

This is where this gets interesting!

I am a Journeyman Sheet Metal Worker and thought to myself that if I can't get two working tanks out of these three I need to give my ticket back.

So here is what I have done. I took the top of my 4 Gal. tank (the one with the broken nipple) and set it aside. I then tore apart the 6 Gal. tank(the one with the broken ear) stripped, primed and painted. I then took the handle from my 6 Gal. placed it in the old workmate and cut the good ear off and filed the sides of the handle down to match the shape of the 4 Gal. handle. I then primed and painted the handle, reattached the inner workings along with a new diaphragm and gasket and attached it to the 4 Gal. Tank along with the original bolt down ears from the 4 Gal. As soon as I receive the second 4 Gal tank (the one with the big dent, but good handle) I am going to remove the handle assembly strip, prime, paint, install new diaphragm and gasket and mount it on the 6 Gal tank. Crap load of work I know but it sure is good to know the tanks are sound and I will have two high quality finished products.

Here are some pics

Basher

Attachments

• 6 Gal. Original (2) upload.jpg
    6 Gal. Original (2) upload.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 6 Gal. Original upload.jpg
    6 Gal. Original upload.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4 Gal. Finished (2) upload.jpg
    4 Gal. Finished (2) upload.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4 Gal. Finished upload.jpg
    4 Gal. Finished upload.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 6 Gal. Painted (2) upload.jpg
    6 Gal. Painted (2) upload.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Just a suggestion for future reference - remove the broken nipple with an easyout and check the threads on the piece (or another nipple) with a thread gauge. You might be able to puchase a suitable nipple in the hardware section of your local "bigbox" home improvement store. In fact, I think the other nipple on your tank is exactly that - it doesn't look like a stock part to me. If so, your repair cost would have been about two dollars!

The only caution I would offer is to ask your local OMC/BRP dealer if a stock, brass nipple is strong enough for use on a pressure tank.

Basher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jay,

I had removed the broken piece of nipple from the tank and yes it was original. I checked high and low at auto parts stores, plumbing stores and the like and no one carried anything that small. The threaded side is about 1/8" and the only thing I could find was OEM parts.

Basher

jbjennings

Captain

Basher,
Nice job on those tanks! I've done two myself and was wondering if you're going to actually use them after all that work.....I couldn't bring myself to do it with mine! They stay in the house with me and I hoard them like they were a couple of gold bricks...:) I would like to pull one out one day with my bigtwin if I ever go to an aomci meet just to have a whole rig that looked nice. I'm looking forward to your finished FD-10 pics...
later,
JBJ

Basher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

JBJ

Yes the plan is to use both the tanks and the FD-10 on my 14' Aluminum fishing boat. I didn't go through all this work for a museum piece. I really enjoyed all the tinkering that went into this project and plan on doing others. Maybe then I will get something really old and hang it on the wall.

Basher

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Basher,
Nice job on those tanks! I've done two myself and was wondering if you're going to actually use them after all that work.....I couldn't bring myself to do it with mine! They stay in the house with me and I hoard them like they were a couple of gold bricks...:) I would like to pull one out one day with my bigtwin if I ever go to an aomci meet just to have a whole rig that looked nice. I'm looking forward to your finished FD-10 pics...
later,
JBJ

Haha. You went to all that work and you leave them inside? Kinda defeats the purpose!

jbjennings

Captain

I didn't say I'd never use 'em! But I only need one and I use my trusty 6 gallon tank which I haven't redone but will in the next few days. I'll let the other two sit in the house until I need 'em. I do use all my motors but like to ogle 'em for a while after they get painted and such before I use them and they get scratched up. I have decided not to repaint the last 7.5's I've gotten just for that reason. It does kill me to chip or rub paint off the lower unit right after I've just redone the danged things.
Besides, my wife just loooooves to have them in the house!

Basher,
You doing a lot of trolling to need both tanks aboard?? Those 10's are so good on gas I never use a whole tank! One reason I like 'em so much.....
Curious,
JBJ

F_R

Supreme Mariner

$55 for the nipple? Heck, I could have made you one for less than that.