Smart Tabs and ProTroller Series

eburr

Cadet
Can anyone with direct experience please share with me how you like your Smart Tabs and/or Protroller Series Smart Tabs? Specifically, how did it affect your:

1.) Time to plane?
2.) Minimum hull planing speed?
3.) Bow Rise?
4.) Porpoising?
5.) Chine walking?
6.) Boat stability?
7.) If ProTrollers installed, how did it affect base trolling speed?
8.) Top-end speed?
9.) Overall ride and comfort?
10.) Installation and adjustment ease?
11.) Quality of workmanship?
12.) service and support?

While I have read fantastic reviews on ther product, your insights would be most helpful, as I am planning to add a set to my stern heavy Hydra-Sports 1850 CC with an Evinrude 150 on the back (big motor, 85 gallons of fuel, dual rear batteries, big live well, etc).

With only a Stingray Hydrofoil now, I find the boat is slow to plane off, has a tendancy to porpoise if not carefully trimmed down, generally rides bow high and trolls a little too fast for general Walleye and Steelhead fishing (2.6-2.8 mph when ideal is 1.8 to 2.2mph).

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Eric

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Smart Tabs and ProTroller Series

As for service and support, you can't beat Nauticus Smart Tabs. Very helpful folks from pre-sale Q&A to Post-sale help. I have them on a Walleye boat and never looked back. Great product, easy to install and adjust. The boat stays on-plane down to 12 mph. Smooth stable ride. For the money there simply isn't a better solution for porpoising. Nope -- I don't work for them nor do I sell them. Just a satisfied user.

bhammer

Ensign

Can you wait until this weekend? I took a bunch of data points with my whale tail this weekend and not I have to remove the foil, take data point and then install the tabs and take more. I just ran out of time this weekend to get it all done.

rokhedjo

Recruit

I have them on my 19.5 foot bowrider and I can tell you it changed my boat drastically. I get on plane much faster , at slower speed. virtually no porpoising, chine walk is non existant. Ican see over the bow when pulling tubers now.If any of the things you are asking about exist on your boat................buy them, you will not be disappointed.

Bamboo

Seaman

I can't answer all of your questions yet, but soon will. I have a Key West 186dc with a Yamaha F150, 60 gal. tank, dual batteries in the aft lockers, live well in the rear. I believe the boat is about the same weight as yours (1750 dry + motor). I had a clearance issue under a swim platform to deal with so it is taking me a while to complete the installation...oh, and I'm slower than old people humping when it comes to doing stuff like this (measure three or four times, take a break, measure again, and then drill! :) )

The support from Natuicus has been great. I didn't think I would be able to use them due to the clearance limitation I had, but John had a solution which was easy and clean. I installed the side without the swim platform easily. The quality of the kit was good, things were well packaged and labeled. I deviated in two areas: 1) used 3M 4000UV (UV resistant equivalent to 4200) as a thread sealant in addition to the sealant tape supplied with the kit, and 2) mounted the lower bracket more outboard on the tab to shorten up the overall height. The quality of the components is good. The tabs are pretty stout, and seem more than adequate in the strength department.

Hopefully I'll be finished sometime this week and take the boat out this weekend or next. I have pretty good numbers on this boat/motor & prop combination (using GPS). When I get a chance to get the tabs adjusted I'll post the RPMs vs. mph chart. I'm really curious also about how they will work with this boat.

nlain

Commander

1.) Time to plane? Greatly reduced also just use half throttle instead of full, on plane in at least half the time. I have never actually timed it.
2.) Minimum hull planing speed?Before Smart Tabs 20 mph/gps, after Smart Tabs 14 mph/gps.
3.) Bow Rise?Greatly reduced, I never lose sight of the water, without Smart Tabs I did.
4.) Porpoising?No porpoising
5.) Chine walking?Had chine walk before at wot trimmed all the way out, now no chine walk, boat very stable
6.) Boat stability?Very stable
7.) If ProTrollers installed, how did it affect base trolling speed?I have standard tabs.
8.) Top-end speed? Gained about 3 mph/gps
9.) Overall ride and comfort? Great improvement in ride and comfort. I boat in the sound and before Smart Tabs I either slowed way down or got beat to death when rough which is most of the time, with tabs I slow to 14 mph/gps, trim down a little to cut the waves and smooth out the ride.
10.) Installation and adjustment ease?read and understand the instructions completely before you start then once you get over drilling holes in your hull it is really easy.
11.) Quality of workmanship? Mine are the Stainless steel version and the quality is very good.
12.) service and support? Excellent service and support, John is the owner, you can call and talk to him or one of his staff if he is not available and get all your questions answered. They are good people.

Hope this helps.

eburr

Cadet

Wow. Great feedback guys. Anyone else care to chime in? So far, it seems like this might be one of the best inventions yet to help improve the economy, performance and ride of modern sport boats. Sounds like John really developed a good set up here.

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

Newbie here, what exactly are trim tabs? Will they work on any boat? I have a 2006 Lowe F&S 165 with a 90 Merc. 4 stroke and I am having trouble finding the right prop, it was suggested I look into these trim tabs. Any links to manufacturers etc? Thanks in advance for your help.......Irv

eburr

Cadet

www.nauticusinc.com

I think this site will tell you just about the whole story. I am installing these to help my boat plane faster, at lower speeds, increase stability and mostly improve fuel economy. I am going with the ProTroller Series that can also flip down to act as as brakes to reduce my overall trolling speed for walleye fishing. Sounds like just about everyone is happy with them.

After studying the subject a bit (thank you iboats!), I understand that trim tabs (metal or plastic hull extension-planing devices) come primarily in three styles: 1.) automatic like smart tabs, which require no further adjustment after initial set-up, or 2 & 3.) electric or hydrualic versions through companies such as Lenco or Bennett, that are more expensive and complex, but are conveniently helm controlled.

As John DeAgro, the owner of Smart Tabs says, automatic tabs are the obvious choice for small to mid-sized sport-craft that are not on a given course for an extended period of time, and for those who don't want to fiddle with helm adjustments. For this application, his product appears to have many benefits such as faster speed to plane, reduced minimum plane speed, reduced or eliminated porpoising, reduced bow rise on acceleration, improved ride comfort and stability (acting as an "active suspension"), reduced chine walk and improved fuel economy (by putting the boat in efficient hull configuration more quickly). These claims are further supported by many on the iboats forums.

For "destination boats", (typically big craft that are used in large bodies of water, on a fixed course for an extended period of time), the manually adjustable helm controlled tabs may be a more convenient option, although they won't give the same "suspension effect" of John's loaded, gas charged, automatic tabs that are constantly adjusting due to changes in water pressure and conditions. Manual tabs may also have the ability to address listing problems caused by uneven weight distribution a little better though. Not really sure about that one.

John, if you are reading this, please feel free to correct anything I messed up here. I can hardly wait to test my new Smart Tabs this weeekend on the Hydra-Sports!

eburr

Cadet

Hey Bamboo, it looks like I just might beat you getting to my lake test. I look forward to posting my results by the end of this holiday weekend. I have a set of ST 1290-60's installed now, with the flip down brackets for use as trolling brakes when necessary. Nice looking set up, and appears to be high quality and excellent workmanship!

Saturday will be test one on a smaller body of water, and Monday will be the real pounding on Lake Erie walleye chasing.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey eburr - are you getting a commission on these things?

Dad

eburr

Cadet

OK folks, here's the results from today's smart tabs trials, with a notable caveat: I forgot to put my fishwell plug in, and was carrying an extra 150 pounds of water around through the entire lake test, not to mention 250 lbs of fuel and three people on board (about 500 lbs). In as much, I am assume that some of these results and reported improvements are conservative, relative to the added weight we were carrying.

1.) Time to plane?
Before Smart Tabs:10 seconds at WOT
After Smart-Tabs: 6-7 seconds

2.) Minimum hull planing speed?
Before: 22MPH (yes, my boat is a heavy little pig)
After: 14-15

3.) Bow Rise?
Before: Very notable upon hole shot
After: Reduced by over 50%

4.) Porpoising?
Before: Used to porpoise a lot at WOT throttle/Max speed unless trimmed all the way down (in).
After: We had no porposing at trim-neutral at any speed. I could get it to porpoise at WOT and max speed and trimmed >75% of the way out though.

5.) Chine walking?
Before: Not really an issue
After: More stable all around

6.) Boat stability?
Before: Lots of side-to-side in waves and wakes
After: Side-to-side rock and bounce, specially when crossing wakes almost eliminated

7.) If ProTrollers installed, how did it affect base trolling speed?
Before: 2.4-2.8 (with or against 5 kt. wind)
After: 1.8-2.2

Estimated 20-25% reduction in trolling speed, but there was a bit of wind today, and this was a little tricky to tell. I am comfortable with attesting to a minimum of 20% and up to 30% possibly.

8.) Top-end speed?
Top speed trials were also a little tricky due differences in weight, but....
Before: my boat normally tops out at 37 MPH with me alone.
After: during the lake trial I was carrying an extra 500 lbs of people (4 people total on board), 150 lbs of water in the fish well and 250 lbs of fuel (about normal on fuel weight). Even when fully loaded to (and probably past) the hull's max coast guard rating, I was able to achieve 35 at WOT into a 5-10 kt wind. Lightly loaded, I am confident that it will now max at 40 MPH, a 5% gain. I will do more testing on this in the future though.

9.) Overall ride and comfort?
Notably more stable and easy to control, especially in waves and wakes.

10.) Installation and adjustment ease?
Easy. I think the composites might be even easier to adjust than my stainless series though

11.) Quality of workmanship?
Superb. Better engineered than expected. ProTroller flip down bracket worked flawlessly, and I didn't event get my arm wet!

12.) Service and support
What can I say? John is the best. He and his team and more helpful than anyone has the right to expect. Thanks John!

Overall, the single best add-on I have ever given a boat, and for the least amount of green. I was very impressed overall, and am really looking forward to trolling lake Erie this season without the need to use "extra trolling devices" such as a kicker, trolling plate, buggy bag or 5 gallon buckets! I can also see that my fuel economy will improve by getting the hull in "efficient configuration" more quickly, and maintained down to a lower speed.

BTW: I think we discovered the optimal speed for my hull is about 26 MPH, at 3600 RPM's. I also bet that is my best economy speed as well.

This review was based on a 1995 Hydra-Sports 1850 CC with an Evinrude 150 Ocean Pro on the back.

eburr

Cadet

No commission Dad (hmmm.....but there's a thought), but feel that this is an excellent product and John DeAgro has been most helpful :). Additionally, my lake trial before and after was not solicited, but offered it as a service to others using this forum.

It was also kind of fun watching the other boats out there porpoisng when I was fast to plane and rock solid stable.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I believe him. He's my son and I brought him up to be honest. It is interesting to note the progression from childhood - cars, girls, motorcycles, wife, family - now all he talks about is boats! Think how it makes me feel. I got so old that I had to sell my boat last year!

eburr

Cadet

Ah Pop, just come and come use my boat with me! Look at it this way, you have now earned the right to let someone else do all the work, and I would love the company. Besides, it's time for me to contribute more than just fixing your broken faucets when I come to town!

Je vous aime mon P?re and really wish you weren't 2000 miles away.:(

Eric

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

The best part of this entire thread is the respect and love between this father and son. You have both done well!

eburr

Cadet

Thanks John. My Pop is pretty special actually, and I miss him a lot. He's out in Oregon and I'm in Ohio. If I am lucky, he'll come out this fall for walleye, perch and steelhead fishing with me.

A product update: I used your product last Monday on Lake Erie trolling for Walleye. The day started iffy with a passing thunderstorm, but cleared to deliver 2-3 ft swells and a consistent 15 Kt wind. Even in these conditions, I was up on plane at 22-23 MPH and was able comforably motor to my fishing grounds on top of the waves instead of through them.

With the ProTrollers rotated down into the trolling position, I was able to maintain 1.4-1-8 mph against the wind, and 2.0-2.2 with it. The improvement in control with tabs down (I tried without first) was like night and day. The boat tracked straight and true when deployed, verses almost impossible to maintain course without tons of correction before.

Though it was no day to try WOT speed tests, my buddy was pretty impressed when we came back in at 26 MPH in these conditions at a little more than half throttle. The boat was really stable at this speed, despite the big waves and wind. It handled very well.

I'll post more re: WOT changes when I see some flat water!

BTW: While I got skunked, the guy behind me caught (9) 10-12lb Walleye that day! Incredible.

eburr

Cadet

Tested again lightly loaded on West-Branch reservoir yesterday. Top speed is now 38 (was more like 36 on the GPS before smart-tabs), and the ride is much better, and more stable. My wife found the difference "very noticable".

I highly recommend the product.