Do you have smart tabs on your Tahoe?

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone with smart tabs on their Tahoe have any pictures of the installation???

comments on the performance?

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Do you have smart tabs on your Tahoe?

I want to install smart tabs too but haven't had a chance to take any pictures to send to John Deleagro and ask for his advice. He's posted a sample picture with trim tabs mounted on boats with molded in swim platform but it's not a Tahoe boat.

Here's one picture I saw on an earlier thread on a Q4.

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11693&d=1209052349

The guy who installed them hasn't left any comments following up on their performance, yet.

Rich

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class

- Reduce the minimum planing speed by 33%
- Increase maximum speeds
- Provide a level, more comfortable ride at lower speeds
- Improve economy, handling and safety

taken from:

http://www.nauticusinc.com/

AstroPimpin'

Recruit

I put smart tabs on my boat 2 weekends ago, my boat is a 2003 Astro 2050SD, which is very simular to the new Tahoe 215 I/O, in fact, Tahoe purchased Astro in 2004. I was very pleased with my smart tabs, I like to wakeboard as well so I purchased the PR500 retractor kit. That is one negative about these, they destroy your wake and make it really washed out, the retractor kit eliminates this problem. These tabs increased my top speed by almost 3mph, it was easy for me to compare because of the retractors. 49.3 with them retracted vs 51.9 with them down via GPS. The hole shot is much improved and the minimum planing speed was decreased by almost 4 mph. It also rides a lot smooter in moderate chop, my pregnant wife can attest to that. I have the 5.0 V8 and am running a 3 blade stainless 21P prop on my 20ft boat. I could not be more pleased with them, best 150 bucks spent on the boat so far. :)
I attached a picture of my installation, I had to mount them a little closer to the outdrive than recommended but it did not seem to hurt the results, I might have lost some of the side to side stability they offer at speed, but I am happy with them how they are.:cool:

Attachments

• astrosmarttabs1.JPG
    astrosmarttabs1.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 16

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Great! Thanks for posting pic, AP. I still want to add these to my Q7i but don't know where to mount them. My Tahoe has a molded hull protruding out towards the stern and is not as flat as your Astro.

etransfer

Seaman

Great! Thanks for posting pic, AP. I still want to add these to my Q7i but don't know where to mount them. My Tahoe has a molded hull protruding out towards the stern and is not as flat as your Astro.

I cut out all holes except the bottom hole to make them work.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

I cut out all holes except the bottom hole to make them work.

Where did you mount them? Out towards the sides or more towards the center? Did you mount them behind a strake?

etransfer

Seaman

Where did you mount them? Out towards the sides or more towards the center? Did you mount them behind a strake?

I put them about 8 inches in from the outside right on the first chine.

I called the company and they said for the best performance they needed to be out as far as you can mount them but at least 6 inches in.

I had to cut out all the holes except one because I blew out two actuators
because they kept hitting.

I've used the 40 lb, 60 lb and 80 lb actuators and the 60 lb is best with the Q6. They're a little light if you have 6-7 people on the boat but I found the 80 lbs make the boat plow with just 2-3 people on board.

The improvement in control is 10 times better so it's worth the hassle to install them.

geezlouise

Cadet

I put the metal smart tabs with 80lb struts on my Tahoe Q6 yesterday. Before buying the kit, I called the factory about going with 60lb struts or 80lb. The guy said to go with the 80's...Installed plates at 25 degree angle with adjustments set to the middle of the slot in both brackets.I took the boat out for a trial.

Time required to plane aprox 3 seconds (much quicker than before)
Top speed down from 48mph to 44mph.
Boat riding low at all speeds on the right side.
Boat wants to turn left coming off plane when slowing down.
Wake just behind boat (say 8 to 10 feet behind stearn) all frothy and messed up looking.

I adjusted the down pressure to the lowest end of the slot. This definately changed the plate angle (even though the manual says it doesn't) so I reset the upper bracket adjustment to get the plate back to 25 degrees. I will run the boat again this afternoon to see what happens.

If I don't pick up the top speed I will call them about getting some 60lb struts.

etransfer

Seaman

I have a Q6 and the 80's plowed the boat too much and the 60's were perfect !

geezlouise

Cadet

I just sent an email to the guys at Nauticus requesting they trade out my 80lb struts for the 60lb. After I adjusted the down force on the trim plate the boat performed much better but still a little off on the top speed. The problem is there is no more adjustment left...all the way down. Without the plates it would run 48mph with 1/2 tank of gas and me alone. Now the best I can get is 45mph. I really didn't buy them for speed but everything I read suggests I should pick up a couple mph.

etransfer

Seaman

Does anyone with smart tabs on their Tahoe have any pictures of the installation???

comments on the performance?

Here you go - on a 2008 Q6

Attachments

• Dsc_0129.jpg
    Dsc_0129.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Dsc_0130.jpg
    Dsc_0130.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 14

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Nice install ET...Great location for the tabs. I'm guessing that the strakes doesn't affect the tabs' performance and will order mines as soon as I get some extra money saved up.

Thank you for sharing.

Ret USN CPO

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, nice. Guess I'll order me a set too.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

ET, does this install interfere with your stern boarding ladder?

etransfer

Seaman

ET, does this install interfere with your stern boarding ladder?

Nope not at all !

Just go with the 60lbs because with the Q4-Q7 the 80lbs will be too much.

I've even tried the 40lbs and they work just fine and I could be happy with them but the 60's give a little more control and stop 100% of the chine walking and 99% of the side to side motion when I hit someones wake !

etransfer

Seaman

Nice install ET...Great location for the tabs. I'm guessing that the strakes doesn't affect the tabs' performance and will order mines as soon as I get some extra money saved up.

Thank you for sharing.

No they self adjust anyway so if you don't get them perfect don't sweat it.

Just a few hints. The plate will fall to the 25 degree angle so you don't have to measure. The actuator will be at the right angle because the plastic connections (bracket) will force them to be perfect.

Install the plate then connect the actuator to the "outside hole" in the plate "then" mark and drill the two top holes for the top of the actuator bracket.

If you do this you won't have to cut out any of the holes on the plate
and you'll still be at the 25 degree angle !!

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Hey ET, thanks again for your tips. I'll follow them when I'm ready to install mines.

Ret USN CPO

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ordered mine yesterday, although I had to go through West Marine as iBoats didn't have the 60 lbs in stock, AND I WANT THEM NOW!!! lol

Free shipping, 15% off, and a $10 rebate I got them for around $110.

I can't wait to get them in, installed and tested.