Newbie: Looking at buying our first boat. Please comment.

Jrock_02

Cadet
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and to boating in general.......

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a Pre-owned 2003 Chaparral 235 SSi "Cuddy Cabin" from a Boat Dealer. It has a Mercruiser 5.7L 350 MAG MPI (300HP) Bravo III Engine (with approx. 300 hours on it). According to the Dealer, the previous owner of this boat was an older gentleman (whom purchased the boat new from them back in '03). He would use it for only 6 months out of the year and ONLY in Freshwater (so it has never been in saltwater). Anytime the boat wasn't in use, he kept it on a lift in his boathouse. He has performed the yearly maintenance on the boat through the dealership and they have record of this. He has supposedly traded in this boat to upgrade to a much larger one.

My wife and I went out to the dealership to look at and test-drive the boat. It is truly in immaculate condition!!! Inside and out, it looks like a brand new boat; and it rode beautifully (we got it up the 53mph with no problem at all)!!! The boat is listed as 23' but with the extended swim platform it is really 25'. It has the "Quick and Quiet" exhaust (which makes it sound aggressive when you route the exhaust above the waterline), it has a fire extinguishing system, Dual Battery Cross-over Switch, Snap-in Carpet, Cockpit Cover, Bimini Top, Transom Shower, Porta-Potti, and the Premium & Convenience Packages. It also comes with a 2003 Magic Tilt Aluminum Trailer (with Surge Brakes) and the dealer is throwing in a "Coast Guard Kit" which has 4 Life Jackets, Flares, Anchor, etc (they told me that they normally sell those for $250). Unfortunately, the 3 year warranty on the engine and the 5 year warranty on the hull have both expired.

Being that this is our very first boat purchase and neither my wife nor I are very savvy when it comes to boats, I wanted to make sure we are indeed getting a good boat and a good deal. I don't want to go into a deal overpaying (especially in today's market where the buyer has the upper-hand). They wanted $32,600 but I negotiated them down to $29,500 Out-The-Door (tax, tag, title, dealer fees, etc.) This is a lot of money for me and my family, but we are more than willing to go through with the purchase as long as I know I'm getting a good boat for a good price. The engine has its original manifolds and risers but being that the boat has only been used in Freshwater, I was told they are still in good condition. I don't want to purchase this boat and then have to put out a lot of money for immediate repairs. The dealership (which has performed all the maintenance on the boat) has said that the manifolds and riser are still in excellent condition, which I have to take their word for it. They claim that the boat is pristine condition because of the previous owner's light use, him only using it in Freshwater, and because he never left it in the water (he stored it in his boathouse when it wasn't being used). Oh, and the boat is Not bottom painted (I'm not sure if that matters or not).

I'm sorry for such a lengthy post, but like I said, since this is our very first boat and it being a major purchase for our family, I want to ensure I'm not overpaying or getting a bad boat/deal. I wanted to give all the information that I have to you experienced individuals, so that you can give me your most honest answers. Please comment on the Boat Manufacturer (Chaparral), this type of boat, the engine, your experiences with this boat, the price, or anything that you feel will be helpful to me. Thank you for your time, it is greatly appreciated.

Here are some pics of the boat:
http://images.traderonline.com//img/6/dealer/1327929/92462076_1thumb_550x410.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com//img/6/dealer/1327929/92462076_2thumb_550x410.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com//img/6/dealer/1327929/92462076_3thumb_550x410.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com//img/6/dealer/1327929/92462076_4thumb_550x410.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com//img/6/dealer/1327929/92462076_5thumb_550x410.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com//img/6/dealer/1327929/92462076_6thumb_550x410.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com//img/6/dealer/1327929/92462076_7thumb_550x410.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com//img/6/dealer/1327929/92462076_8thumb_550x410.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com//img/6/dealer/1327929/92462076_9thumb_550x410.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com//img/6/dealer/1327929/92462076_10thumb_550x410.jpg

Here is the Link to the 2007 Chaparral model of this boat:
http://www.chaparralboats.com/containers/chaparral.html
(just select SSi Sportboat 235)

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Newbie: Looking at buying our first boat. Please comment.

According to NADA the average retail for your boat is 23K without the trailer,don't count all the "extras" they throw in...that just makes them look good and don't really add value to the boat, so, figure about 3-K for the trailer and your around 26K, AND THATS HIGH. This is a depressed market for boats especially when they are equipped w/ 300HP motors, GAS HOG, i know ive got a 32'Scarab w/ twin 454's ,I'll burn $400 a day without trying. If your in the market for a boat..SHOP AROUND. and you might want to get an outboard,they use less gas per HP, easier to maintain,can get closer to shore,and used, there a better deal, Don't jump at the first pretty boat you see,theres tons of them out there,and better deals to boot. In my opinion the price is way to high,its overpowered for a first time boater,your resale will be low,and it'll burn $60 -80 a day..easy. Look Around.

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

According to NADA the average retail for your boat is 23K without the trailer,don't count all the "extras" they throw in...that just makes them look good and don't really add value to the boat, so, figure about 3-K for the trailer and your around 26K, AND THATS HIGH. This is a depressed market for boats especially when they are equipped w/ 300HP motors, GAS HOG, i know ive got a 32'Scarab w/ twin 454's ,I'll burn $400 a day without trying. If your in the market for a boat..SHOP AROUND. and you might want to get an outboard,they use less gas per HP, easier to maintain,can get closer to shore,and used, there a better deal, Don't jump at the first pretty boat you see,theres tons of them out there,and better deals to boot. In my opinion the price is way to high,its overpowered for a first time boater,your resale will be low,and it'll burn $60 -80 a day..easy. Look Around.

Average retail private sale or from a dealer?

Jrock_02

Cadet

Marine4003, Thanks for the speedy response. I checked NADA.com and the boat priced at approx. $27,200 (Low Retail) and approx. $31,000 (Average Retail). That is after adding the adjustments for the 5.7L Engine, the Bimini Top, the Cockpit Cover, Dual Battery Charger, Depth Sounder, Stereo w/ CD, Dual Battery Switch, Docking Lights, Dual Prop, Silent Exhaust, Fire Extinguishing System, Port-Potti, 3-Blade Propeller, Swim Step w/ Fold Down Ladder, Trim Indicator, and Transom Cold Shower. I also assume this price is w/out a Trailer and before tax. Please let me know if I'm wrong. Thanks again.

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wrote a long post that got lost due to a website error. Short version:

Don't pay too much attention to NADA.
Check www.bucvalue.com - register, they'll value (1) boat for you. They do it by make, model, and drive/motor combo. Playing with the query, you can check values for a few boats.

For more pricing - run a nationwide search on traderonline.com for your particular year and model. Maybe go +/- 2 years just to get a range.

300 hours on that boat what I'd consider "average" use in my area.

Having full maint records is a BIG plus in my book, as is the condition of the boat.

Negotiate for drive service this year, winterize, check/replace gimble, replace raw water pump.

Note that boat will be HEAVY to trailer. It's probably 6-8k pounds with the trailer and is right or above the margin for most 1/2 ton trucks. It may be OK for newer trucks like the Tundra. It's not so much pulling, it's braking that's the big concern.

maxumus

Cadet

Just a few thoughts. I can't help you on the price. Things to keep in mind. Decide if you are going to trailer or slip the boat. They both have advantages. If you slip it, you will go more often, just load the boat, untie and go. No waiting in line at the ramp. Disadvantage is it sits in the water and gets dirty and a pain if you decide to go boat some place else. You still have to store trailer some place. Opposite for trailering. Trailering you need a place to store it and make sure you have a vehicle that can properly tow it.
Chaparal has a good name. No first hand knowledge myself, but not heard any bad.
Since you got to run it, that is huge. Many times you might only get to have it run with hose hook up. Bottom paint is only necessary if you leave it sitting in dirty water. We boat on the mississippi and you can tell a big difference if slipped without bottom paint. Trailer now with boat without paint and no problems. You never know with a boat what might happen mechanically, you always take a chance. There WILL be some kind of maintenance, banged up props, winterizing, etc.
The main things to really check are:
Check the prop and bottom of hull for signs of damage or weak spots.
Check the oil for color. (Motor & especially lower unit for water)
Make sure it shifts smooth.

You really need to decide about what length you want based on ease of travel and use and manuevering ability and the body of water you are boating on. Cuddy vs. open is a big one. I have been around both. Open is nice for a lot of people to spread out on and ease on/off at beach and dock. Cuddy is nice for staying out on, storing food and equipment even for the day. Have a place to lay out on for the ladies. A place to hide if weather turns bad or nice for cool night ride out of wind. We use a lot for the baby to get shade and a place to nap and change. We change our close in there if going to restaurant on river. Privacy for portapotti, essential if going with kids or women.
There are so many lengths, layouts, and makes of boats out there. If you have a price range you are willing to spend, just look around and find one you like. They might all have some issues. For most either an opportunity comes up or else you need to go out or sit on the boat and getting a feeling and say "this is my boat".

If you buy a boat and are new to owning.
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR PLUG BEFORE LAUNCHING AND SHUT OFF BATTERIES WHEN DONE. These are the most coming problems I see. Every year a see a few people at the ramp pulling boat back out because they forgot there plug. Or they put the boat in the water and the battery is dead because they didn't turn battery switch to off. It is not like a car. Something always seems to be pulling power. Get a 2 battery and dual switch system and I recommend to leave on BOTH setting when running on plain and switch to one battery when floating or beached listening to radio to keep the other battery fully charged for starting.

A few thoughts turned into a rant. I hope this helps. Go to a marina with similar boats. Ask other boaters for help or if you have question, most are happy to talk boats and help out. You will see it is a community out on the water.

Good luck!

45Auto

Commander

Welcome to Iboats!

Sounds like you're an intelligent buyer. Very nice boat. I almost bought one just like it last summer. $32K seems to be about the current dealer asking price for a 2003 235 SSi. $29.5K out the door isn't bad. I assume you're in Florida so that means the boat is going for around $27K. Not bad at all, especially if you have all the maintenance records.

See if the bellows has ever been replaced. If not, might want to think about it on a 5 year old boat.

Make sure everything works and all the parts for the bimini, covers, etc are there.

The 350/B3 engine/outdrive combo will be nice. Take a close look at the outdrive. Bravo 3's are notorious for galvanic corrosion if stored in the water. Since this one was on a lift it shouldn't have any bubbly paint or white corrosion spots on the outdrive. Doesn't look like it but hard to tell from pics.

Grab the very back of the drive and try to move it from side to side. B3's have a lot of weight hanging out the back and are well known for wearing out the gimbal ring if the clamp bolts at the top of the ring aren't kept tight. If the drive easily moves more than 1/4 inch or so side to side then get someone familiar with the drive to look at it! Could be just play in the steering system, but a gimbal ring replacement or repair will easily be several thousand dollars.

If you have a friend who knows boats get them to go on a sea trial with you.

Any 22-23' boat with a stock engine is going to get around 3.5 MPG at best. Most efficient cruise speed is usually in the high 20's MPH range. If you plan to do a lot of cruising make sure your budget can handle 8 or 9 gallons per hour. Of course, if you're anchored at the sandbar it's not costing you anything (in gas anyway ............). :)

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

I found eight other 2003 235ssi similar to yours and the price seems resonable relative to them. However, as someone else stated, this is a very depressed market for boats of that size. I would offer $27.5 out the door, politely leave your phone #, and walk. If they have not called in a week, and you really want it, come back a little higher. Bet they call.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you plan on towing it make sure your tow vehicle is rated for the total wieght, trailer has brakes, etc. You ain't gonna pull that rig with a VW.

Jrock_02

Cadet

I wrote a long post that got lost due to a website error. Short version:

Don't pay too much attention to NADA.
Check www.bucvalue.com - register, they'll value (1) boat for you. They do it by make, model, and drive/motor combo. Playing with the query, you can check values for a few boats.

For more pricing - run a nationwide search on traderonline.com for your particular year and model. Maybe go +/- 2 years just to get a range.

300 hours on that boat what I'd consider "average" use in my area.

Having full maint records is a BIG plus in my book, as is the condition of the boat.

Negotiate for drive service this year, winterize, check/replace gimble, replace raw water pump.

Note that boat will be HEAVY to trailer. It's probably 6-8k pounds with the trailer and is right or above the margin for most 1/2 ton trucks. It may be OK for newer trucks like the Tundra. It's not so much pulling, it's braking that's the big concern.

Thanks for the info........ I did the pricing on tradeonline.com and bucvalue.com. It appears the amount they want for the boat I'm looking at is within the amounts on tradeonline and bucvalue. So it seems that I'm getting a good boat at an average price, which I'm ok with. I'll ask about the gimble and raw water pump. I was also planning on having them fill the fuel tank up before I take ownership (that'll be worth over $250).

The truck we plan on using is a 2001 GMC Yukon XL Denali (6.0L; v-8; 320HP) and it's AWD. It has the factory installed tow package (which I believe is a Class III Reese Hitch). Thanks again for your help.

Jrock_02

Cadet

Just a few thoughts. I can't help you on the price. Things to keep in mind. Decide if you are going to trailer or slip the boat. They both have advantages. If you slip it, you will go more often, just load the boat, untie and go. No waiting in line at the ramp. Disadvantage is it sits in the water and gets dirty and a pain if you decide to go boat some place else. You still have to store trailer some place. Opposite for trailering. Trailering you need a place to store it and make sure you have a vehicle that can properly tow it.
Chaparal has a good name. No first hand knowledge myself, but not heard any bad.
Since you got to run it, that is huge. Many times you might only get to have it run with hose hook up. Bottom paint is only necessary if you leave it sitting in dirty water. We boat on the mississippi and you can tell a big difference if slipped without bottom paint. Trailer now with boat without paint and no problems. You never know with a boat what might happen mechanically, you always take a chance. There WILL be some kind of maintenance, banged up props, winterizing, etc.
The main things to really check are:
Check the prop and bottom of hull for signs of damage or weak spots.
Check the oil for color. (Motor & especially lower unit for water)
Make sure it shifts smooth.

You really need to decide about what length you want based on ease of travel and use and manuevering ability and the body of water you are boating on. Cuddy vs. open is a big one. I have been around both. Open is nice for a lot of people to spread out on and ease on/off at beach and dock. Cuddy is nice for staying out on, storing food and equipment even for the day. Have a place to lay out on for the ladies. A place to hide if weather turns bad or nice for cool night ride out of wind. We use a lot for the baby to get shade and a place to nap and change. We change our close in there if going to restaurant on river. Privacy for portapotti, essential if going with kids or women.
There are so many lengths, layouts, and makes of boats out there. If you have a price range you are willing to spend, just look around and find one you like. They might all have some issues. For most either an opportunity comes up or else you need to go out or sit on the boat and getting a feeling and say "this is my boat".

If you buy a boat and are new to owning.
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR PLUG BEFORE LAUNCHING AND SHUT OFF BATTERIES WHEN DONE. These are the most coming problems I see. Every year a see a few people at the ramp pulling boat back out because they forgot there plug. Or they put the boat in the water and the battery is dead because they didn't turn battery switch to off. It is not like a car. Something always seems to be pulling power. Get a 2 battery and dual switch system and I recommend to leave on BOTH setting when running on plain and switch to one battery when floating or beached listening to radio to keep the other battery fully charged for starting.

A few thoughts turned into a rant. I hope this helps. Go to a marina with similar boats. Ask other boaters for help or if you have question, most are happy to talk boats and help out. You will see it is a community out on the water.

Good luck!

We do have 2 kids (a 3 yr. old and a 1 yr. old) so that's why we were looking for a Cuddy Cabin. We haven't yet decided if we are going to leave it in the marina at our lake or if we're just going to leave it on the trailer in the backyard.

I will definitely remember to do the plugs and switch the batter to OFF (This boat does have a Dual Battery w/ Crossover Switch on it). Thanks again for your input.

Jrock_02

Cadet

Welcome to Iboats!

Sounds like you're an intelligent buyer. Very nice boat. I almost bought one just like it last summer. $32K seems to be about the current dealer asking price for a 2003 235 SSi. $29.5K out the door isn't bad. I assume you're in Florida so that means the boat is going for around $27K. Not bad at all, especially if you have all the maintenance records.

See if the bellows has ever been replaced. If not, might want to think about it on a 5 year old boat.

Make sure everything works and all the parts for the bimini, covers, etc are there.

The 350/B3 engine/outdrive combo will be nice. Take a close look at the outdrive. Bravo 3's are notorious for galvanic corrosion if stored in the water. Since this one was on a lift it shouldn't have any bubbly paint or white corrosion spots on the outdrive. Doesn't look like it but hard to tell from pics.

Grab the very back of the drive and try to move it from side to side. B3's have a lot of weight hanging out the back and are well known for wearing out the gimbal ring if the clamp bolts at the top of the ring aren't kept tight. If the drive easily moves more than 1/4 inch or so side to side then get someone familiar with the drive to look at it! Could be just play in the steering system, but a gimbal ring replacement or repair will easily be several thousand dollars.

If you have a friend who knows boats get them to go on a sea trial with you.

Any 22-23' boat with a stock engine is going to get around 3.5 MPG at best. Most efficient cruise speed is usually in the high 20's MPH range. If you plan to do a lot of cruising make sure your budget can handle 8 or 9 gallons per hour. Of course, if you're anchored at the sandbar it's not costing you anything (in gas anyway ............). :)

Thank you for the Welcoming and Thank you for the compliment!! I haven't asked about the Bellows, but I'll be sure to do that. I don't recall any bubbly paint or corrosion spots on the outdrive but I'll check that too. I'll also check the play on the outdrive to see if the Gimble ring may need replacing. This is all good information and I thank you for taking the time to educate me in it!!

erlindbl

Seaman

It certainly seems like a good buy to me. If your going to put out that much money, I would take it to your own mechanic to check it out. I would never buy a used boat without draining the upper and lower unit and taking a look at the oil. Make sure it is not milky in appearance or you have seals that leak. As a matter of course I would change out the outdrive water pump. You never know what someone did to the boat before you. It's five years old and you can burn one of those up in less than a minute if it was started up out of the water.

Being a first time boater, you have to ask yourself what you want to do with it. That is a pretty big boat and the cuddy cabin makes it a lot to handle by yourself (anchoring, docking, getting it on the trailer). It's also a lot of boat to pull, but I guess things are pretty flat down there in Florida. Your also going to be spending a lot of money in gas.

If you got small kids and your looking for something for tubing waterskiing and wakeboarding, you can't go wrong with a nice 18-20 foot open bow runabout that is a lot easier to handle and a lot cheaper to run......

Jrock_02

Cadet

I found eight other 2003 235ssi similar to yours and the price seems resonable relative to them. However, as someone else stated, this is a very depressed market for boats of that size. I would offer $27.5 out the door, politely leave your phone #, and walk. If they have not called in a week, and you really want it, come back a little higher. Bet they call.

I was thinking of doing that, but the dealer had mentioned to let her know if my loan didn't go through because she had a couple other buyers in line behind me. I've already put a deposit on the boat so she can't deal with them unless I walk out. So I'd like to play "extra hardball" but then I'm afraid I'll lose out over a grand.

Jrock_02

Cadet

It certainly seems like a good buy to me. If your going to put out that much money, I would take it to your own mechanic to check it out. I would never buy a used boat without draining the upper and lower unit and taking a look at the oil. Make sure it is not milky in appearance or you have seals that leak. As a matter of course I would change out the outdrive water pump. You never know what someone did to the boat before you. It's five years old and you can burn one of those up in less than a minute if it was started up out of the water.

Being a first time boater, you have to ask yourself what you want to do with it. That is a pretty big boat and the cuddy cabin makes it a lot to handle by yourself (anchoring, docking, getting it on the trailer). It's also a lot of boat to pull, but I guess things are pretty flat down there in Florida. Your also going to be spending a lot of money in gas.

If you got small kids and your looking for something for tubing waterskiing and wakeboarding, you can't go wrong with a nice 18-20 foot open bow runabout that is a lot easier to handle and a lot cheaper to run......

Thanks for the info..... We do have 2 small kids (3 yr and 1 yr old). This is the main reason why we were looking for a Cuddy Cabin (some place out of the sun where they can go and take a nap, etc.)

I've heard that this is a big boat for a first time boater, but I plan on taking it out the first few times with friends and/or family that's more familiar with boats. Hopefully I'll be able to catch on quick.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's just me, but I wouldn't get so expensive (and fairly large) a boat for my first one. That boat is not a beginner's boat IMO. Used boats are a dime a dozen these days and a nice, somewhat older 20' boat can be had for around $10k - still a VERY nice boat, just not quite in showroom condition, so every bump and kid throw up won't be a big deal. My guess is that in a few years your kids will much prefer an open bow also.

It looks like you've crossed over into the "gotta get this one" mindset though - we've all been there! Good luck if you get it. It takes more than a few times out to learn to handle a boat that big though so get all the lessons you can. It took my most of the first season to be comfortable with my 19 footer.

Jrock_02

Cadet

It's just me, but I wouldn't get so expensive (and fairly large) a boat for my first one. That boat is not a beginner's boat IMO. Used boats are a dime a dozen these days and a nice, somewhat older 20' boat can be had for around $10k - still a VERY nice boat, just not quite in showroom condition, so every bump and kid throw up won't be a big deal. My guess is that in a few years your kids will much prefer an open bow also.

It looks like you've crossed over into the "gotta get this one" mindset though - we've all been there! Good luck if you get it. It takes more than a few times out to learn to handle a boat that big though so get all the lessons you can. It took my most of the first season to be comfortable with my 19 footer.

Thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated!! We do really like this boat, but now I'm getting a little concerned about some of the major maintenance that is normally performed when the boat reaches 5 years (ex. replacing the Bellows, replacing the Gimble Ring, replacing the Raw Water Pump). These are some of the things that people have commented about in this thread.

So if these items are indeed bad (or will need to be replaced in a year or so), then my "gotta get this one" mindset will Quickly diminish!! Thanks again for your opinion.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Having absolutely no useful information to give you.......Let me just say, that's one beautiful boat.

salty87

Commander

Thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated!! We do really like this boat, but now I'm getting a little concerned about some of the major maintenance that is normally performed when the boat reaches 5 years (ex. replacing the Bellows, replacing the Gimble Ring, replacing the Raw Water Pump). These are some of the things that people have commented about in this thread.

So if these items are indeed bad (or will need to be replaced in a year or so), then my "gotta get this one" mindset will Quickly diminish!! Thanks again for your opinion.

with a boat that's new to you (regardless of age) you want to verify the condition of certain critical systems and components before 1) taking your family/friends out on the water where you can't just pull over to look under the hood 2) you risk possibly damaging other components thru the failure of another. water pumps, seals, hoses, all fall into this category plus more depending on the boat as with bellows.

maintenance is big part of boating and also a big part of the expense of boating. you can learn to do the work yourself, buy parts at the right places to make it a little less painful on your wallet, or take it to someone else. don't just assume though that because you bought from a dealer that you don't have to verify that your boat is in top shape. your dealer probably won't be around if you throw a belt on the water or something else happens....your responsibility. even a warrantee, if you have one, won't help much on the water.

get a surveyor to check it out for you. it's a small expense considering the size of the purchase and the potential cost of repairs. the surveyor can show you around everything too.