lower end unit question. PLEASE HELP

seth123

Recruit
i am new to boating. i was changing the lower end unit oil for my first time on my 1992 120 force. i removed the wrong drain plug (the inch lone one) i believe it has something to do with the shifting. however i slid it back in and the prop turns just fine in neutral. i then shifted it into gear and it is hard for me to turn it over, but i can turn it over by hand and i can hear compression and exhaust. do you think i just got that back into place? i dont want to get to the lake and have something messed up. please let me know what you think and thank you for your help.

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: Stupid question. PLEASE HELP

From the way you describe it, it sure sounds like you got it back together right!

Good Luck, and welcome!

seth123

Recruit

so you think i am in the clear? what would it do if it is messed up ? is there any way for me to make sure? i just dont really want to mess up my motor

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

If it shifts your fine. Have someone turn the prop while shifting. If not, the whole thing is coming apart. And don't worry, ya aint gonna hurt nothing as long as its still shifting. If it aint shifting, ya aint going anywhere anyway,.
Sounds like you got EXTREMELY LUCKY...God, the horror stories we hear with that stupid bolt. AND..why a manual is always preached

seth123

Recruit
Re: lower end unit question. PLEASE HELP

thank you guys just making sure it is ok. thanks 4 your help.

lquested

Seaman
Re: lower end unit question. PLEASE HELP

just had to post to make you feel better.. im new here too and i thought i would change the lower unit oil and my impeller too.. oohhhh boy it was sooooo easy i took out the same drain plug you did and dropped the lower unit ..changed the impeller put it back ,, filled with oil dang! i was pround of myself.. filled up barrell with water and fired it up..... then my daughter yells TURN IT OFF!! TURN IT OFF!! i turn it off and look back water dripping from carport roof... i was not lucky took me all day to get the shift fork back where it belongs for it to shift fwd nue and rev.. that so called screw is the shift fork screw i found the allen head screw ( the real drain plug ) after the fact... soo you got real lucky gooooood job man. now i feel better knowing im not the only one in the world that did that thanks lol

lee:eek: