What size fuse for tilt/trim curcuit - or does it need one?

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to fuse my new tilt/trim wiring harness. The old pump developed a short inside the pump and destroyed my harness. I was lucky to be standing right there when it happened or I would have been calling the fire department.

I am raising/lowering a 115hp Mercury inline 6 with the mid 70's model pump unit and about a nine ft. factory harness w/plug. What size fuse and where is the best location for installing it on this '79 Laser?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: What size fuse for tilt/trim curcuit - or does it need one?

Froze, That model has one solenoid for up. The solenoids do not take too much current. I would therefore fuse it for 20Amps, mostly for the down circuit. Hopefully that is enough. BTW there was never a fuse on the curcuit from the factory. The motor contained a bi-metal overload breaker. If you want to put a fuse on the motor, you need more like a 150A fuse.

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Thanks Chris1956. I've never seen one fused myself, but after that fire dance, I figured I'd better. Thanks for the information and I'll fuse each switch (there are three) with a 20A fuse. One on the bow trolling panel, one on the throttle, and the last on the splashwell.

Thanks again, much appreciated!!!:D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Why not put one fuse on the power wire at the trim pump?