1965 6hp Evinrude Fisherman Water Pump

msoffee

Recruit
I have a 1965 6hp Evinrude fisherman that has been overheating on me. It is not pumping water out of the exaust hole on the lower drive. I was able to get a water pump repair kit, which has the impeller and a cover plate, but I'm not sure how to get at them to replace it. Does this sound like a water pump problem, and how do I get at the water pump without taking the whole drive unit apart?

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1965 6hp Evinrude Fisherman Water Pump

It's a little different than my 5hp Johnson but you need to drop the lower end and take the pump off from there. The gear case can remain intact. The water pump will be exposed on top of the gear case with the drive shaft sticking out of the center.

Attachments

• Water pump.jpg
    Water pump.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Not sure about the 1965, but that was about the time they changed the shift rod disconnect. Eariler ones, you have to remove the powerhead to disconnect it. After the change, you drop the lower unit down about 3/4" and remove the bolt from the brass connector you will see inside. It's one or the other, so drop the lower and see if there is a connector. If not, off comes the powerhead.

Hint, on the newer type, remove the spark plugs and slowly turn the flywheel as you drop the lower unit. A pin in the drive shaft has to align with a slot before it will come down. Don't force it and break it.

msoffee

Recruit

Thanks Evinrude Boater. I will take it apart tonight and see what it looks like. Thank you also for the pic.

msoffee

Recruit

Thanks FR. I hope it is the newer type. I will check it out tonight.