Volvo 4.3GL/GS Fuel Pump Wiring: Can Someone Look For Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
I need someone with a 4.3GL or 4.3GS to check the wiring on their fuel pump. I'm replacing mine, and the PO apparently cobbled together what I have. See this thread. I have all the new connector parts and pump from Volvo, but nothing is marked to tell me the polarity. I need to know where the ground (black) and positive (yellow/red stripe from relay) belong in the connector so I can solder the ends on my wires. If someone could pull the connector and put a meter on it I would be appreciative.

Attachments

• 2250880Connector.JPG
    2250880Connector.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Which Way.JPG
    Which Way.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 1

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 4.3GL/GS Fuel Pump Wiring: Can Someone Look For Me?

I've looked at a bunch of wiring diagrams and manuals yesterday trying to find out which way it is, and they just don't show. Hopefully someone that has one will look at their fuel pump connection and let you know. IF not, when I get to work this morning I will (Again) try to remember to look at my test setup.

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I replaced my fuel pump I intially had the same problem regarding which side was postitive / negative. My old fuel pump had the polarity stamped on the appropriate side so I matched up the connector based on that.

Don S

The one on the right of your picture with the question mark

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

The one on the right of your picture with the question mark

Thanks a ton, Don. I went through all of my manuals, too and they all just show the two wires going into the boot. I really appreciate you looking for me...

eezie

Cadet

My fuel pump (on a Volvo 4.3 GL) quit working yesterday also. I checked the relay on a workbench. It works. When I energize the coil with 12 VDC the Normally open contacts close.

Checked all the fuses under the dash. None marked fuel pump but all ok.
Any other place I should look for a fuel pump fuse?

The relay coil has one side tied to common/ground. The other side has a green and an orange wire tied to it. I could not find a wiring diagram anywhere for the Boat or the Penta engine. Anyone know where the green and/or orange wires might feed from? Pressure sensors? Other relays?

Not sure if the fuel pump itself works. Can I wire the fuel pump directly to 12 VDC and see if it works that way? I am not mechanical but trying to work thru this. Would love to be able to take the boat out tomorrow (Memorial day) but unlikely I suppose.

eezie

Don S

Best to start a new thread with your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.