Tilt/trim Question

kwlambeth

Cadet
I'm new to owning a boat and i just boat a 1994 rinker 180 that needed an engine rebuild which is complete. but the fluid in my trim motor is real milky looking, what would cause this??
also on the throttle there is a button that says trim with up and down arrows, when pressing down th motor will trim down but when pressing up it does nothing. however there is another button that says trailer if i push it the motor tilts up. so can i just use that for tilting up or do i need to fix the other button with the up arrow??

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt/trim Question

You can use the trailer button for trim but without experience you can get in trouble. The other up button is limited to a certain amount of travel for full power operation. Operation higher than that point is very hard on the u-joints. It is best to have the problem fixed which is probably a trim limit switch (on the side of the drive where it mounts to the transom) or possibly the switch in the handle.

The milkiness means you are getting water into the trim fluid . . . Seal issue somewhere.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tilt/trim Question

Milky Trip Fluid indicates water got into it. Water can enter thru the resvoir cap, or the seals on the trim cylinders.

You may use the trailer button to trim the motor. The up trim button fails on the MerCruisers because the trim limit switch is located on the outdrive pivot(under water) and eventually rots out