three brass screws

NEWBEBOATER

Cadet
just bought an 86 bayliner capri with the volvo aq125a/270 setup (as is) i got her running. but these three mystery bolts need to find a home,
one i just located, the center drain plug, the other two look similar to that, but a little smaller.

told you i was a newbe:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: three brass screws

You better post a picture of those "Bolts" no way in the world can anyone tell you where they go with the information you posted.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

just bought an 86 bayliner capri with the volvo aq125a/270 setup (as is) i got her running. but these three mystery bolts need to find a home,
one i just located, the center drain plug, the other two look similar to that, but a little smaller.

told you i was a newbe:)

Bet ya they are the exhaust drain plugs.:confused:

NEWBEBOATER

Cadet

i suppose a picture wold be good, here is a pic of the two.

Attachments

• bolts.jpg
    bolts.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

I am trying to picture where those might be on mine...there is a drain plug on the left side of the engine look at the copper tubing that takes the water out to the exhaust. There is a drain on it that I think has a plug like that. But you would have spotted a lot of water leaking into your boat if that one was missing when you started it recently.

NEWBEBOATER

Cadet

Actually I Started The Boat Out Of Water. With The Back End In A 50 Gallon
To Tune The Engine This Place Took Out Those Screws For Winterizing For Maximum Protection. I Just Bought It That Is All Secondhand.

Scott

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Actually I Started The Boat Out Of Water. With The Back End In A 50 Gallon
To Tune The Engine This Place Took Out Those Screws For Winterizing For Maximum Protection. I Just Bought It That Is All Secondhand.

Scott
Look on the underside of the exhaust manifold or on the sides of the engine block just above the oil pan.

If you started it in a drum of water how did you get the drive in the water enough to pump water through the engine? If water actually made it through the engine you should see water running out where those plugs go.
If no water was running out of the engine you may have even more problems.

NEWBEBOATER

Cadet

i might not have the motor submerged far enough, yes i know i might be running a risk doing that however, i have not ran the motor for more than 3 minutes at any given time, only long enough to rough tune the carb, really.
i found a home for another one, yes under the exhaust box(manifold area)

so you think the last one could be on the block?
the guy i got it from called them all drain plugs

thanks for the help so far!

scott

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Just a FEW SECONDS of dry running will fry an impeller....
3 minutes!!!!!!
I can predict the next series of posts.....

NEWBEBOATER

Cadet

ah, good to know. well hopefully i didn't do that..

about the bolt/plug i found one in the manifold. (volvo penta) the red box with a hole in the bottom

i looked all over for a hole near the oil tank didn't find anything.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

I agree get a set of muffs and only run that engine on the garden hose. You need sufficient water running through it to cool. Check your impeller while you are at it and make sure that rubber isn't fried or just old and brittle. You should have seen water from those places where you had no plug... no water means you are risking overheating and lots of bad things!

so for those drain plugs-
1 in the manifold itself on the left side
1 in the copper water cooling pipe on the left side
1 in the bottom of the red heat exchanger box on the front

That should be the normal places on that engine for drain plugs you would loosen or take out for winterizing. I just loosen them, drain out any water, then I retighten them and add antifreeze to the systems for the winter. For spring launch you just drain the antifreeze, retighten and fill that system with water.

Maclin

Admiral

I just thought of something, I hope "they" (whomever winterized it) didn't do this....

My volvo manual recommends to remove the impeller and place in fresh water inside a plastic bag and store where it will not freeze. Some also leave the drain plugs out during the layup as well. Your description of the plugs being in the bilge caused a segway to that part of the manual in my head. HOPEFULLY "they" did not remove the impeller and leave the pump with no guts.

You did not describe large amounts of water running out of the engine into the bilge so I am concerned your engine was not drawing up any water at all. With those plugs out you should have seen and heard garden hose style water streams pouring out of the drain holes into the bilge.

NEWBEBOATER

Cadet

ok i appreciate all the assistance where is the impeller located and how do i get to it with a volvo aq125b/270. isn.t it located in the leading edge of the outdrive unit where all the little holes/ inlets are

NEWBEBOATER

Cadet

well thank you very much.
that told me everything i needed to know i wish someone gave me that earlier.
like before i bought the boat. i have been sitting here using car engine experience.
i guess i have some learning to do.!!!!
manual told me where that brass bolt is supposed to go also ( i think) i am gonna try to put it in now:)
scott! how much do impellers cost for this type of motor?

scott

Maclin

Admiral

Expect $35-$40 for a Volvo OEM impeller kit.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

You could look on ebay for the impeller kit, they sometimes have them on there for auction.

Find a engine and separate drive manual on ebay too...I had to look for about 4 mos. before I found one. Very handy!