100 HP '86 Johnson Tilt and Trim?

I just let the motor down and when I wanted to tilt it back up all I hear is a clicking sound when I press the button. Where do I look to see the problem? Is the clicking from a solenoid and how can I check the tilt motor? Your help is appreciated.:confused:

littletunny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 100 HP '86 Johnson Tilt and Trim?

Was the trim working before?

The clicking sound is the solenoid.

Switch the solenoids to see if it lets you go up or down. If it clicks in both directions it could be a weak battery. If the batt is good, you need to check to see if you are getting power to the trim motor.

The battery is strong and the motor starts. The trim was working up and down when I last lowered it and now it would not go back up and the solenoid just clicks. I will try the switch as you suggested but is there Anything else I could look for?

Thanks for the quick reply.:)

littletunny

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"when I lowered last" I am assuming you mean within the last week not last year.

You may have corroded connections on the trim motor.

Basically power is getting to the solenoid but not to the trim motor.

Switch up the solenoids and let me know what happens.

I ran battery power direct to the trim motor to check if motor is working and not broken, wires got hot in the proces and something sparked in the solenoid but then the trim started to work. I still don't know what the problem was to start with but it is working fine for now. Thanks for your trying to help.:)