Friend ran my engine out of the water!! HELP!!

baldzilla

Cadet
Hey guys, my friend was using my boat and he put it back on the boat lift for me. I went back to the car and when I came back the engine was still running and the lower unit had just come out of the water. The engine was not "peeing" but there was still plenty of water coming out of the impeller holes, etc. I have a 225 Mercury 2004 saltwater. Do you think that this might have caused problems? How would I check to see if it is ok? What should I look for? Is it safe to use still?

Thanks in advance!

raulbadillo

Cadet
Re: Friend ran my engine out of the water!! HELP!!

How long was it running out of the water? If it was not very long im sure you will be ok.

baldzilla

Cadet

That's the problem, I dont know how long. I got back from dropping the stuff out of the car and looked down and saw that the engine was out of the water and not "pissing" there was still water pouring out of the engine, impeller, prop, etc..but nothing pissing. I just went down and ran it for 10 minutes on the lift and it didnt overheat...

do you still think I'm ok? I would say it was completely out of the water no more than 1 minute, to 1 minute and a half...but not sure

jbjennings

Captain

Just my humble opinion (not a pro outboard mechanic)....
I think you're fine because it water was still running out of it then it couldn't have been more than a few seconds out of water. You ran it and it's not overheating is also good enough for me. Those things have big 'ol impellers in 'em. I think you're fine. If you run it next time and it blows up, then you probably had a problem:D.
JBJ

mather911

Cadet

Even 5 seconds out of water can destroy your impeller. I would take 45 minutes and drop the lower unit and inspect it. Better safe then sorry, it is the question of $25-$30 bucks and a little time or replacing a $5,000 motor. The problem is that you don't know how long it was, if it was 30 seconds or so I would replace it without hesitation. At the very least I would take it apart and inspect it rather then quess.

emckelvy

Commander

I second that notion, you've got a very expensive motor to risk vs. the cost of replacing that impeller!!!

The damage may not now be apparent but if the impeller were stressed in any way it could fail at a far worse time and cause the powerhead to be burnt up.

BTW once you have it apart you may as well replace the impeller even if it doesn't appear bad. I've learned my lesson the hard way, that's fer sur!

HTH..........ed

p.s. your 'friend' should foot at least half the bill, IMHO.

Even 5 seconds out of water can destroy your impeller. I would take 45 minutes and drop the lower unit and inspect it. Better safe then sorry, it is the question of $25-$30 bucks and a little time or replacing a $5,000 motor. The problem is that you don't know how long it was, if it was 30 seconds or so I would replace it without hesitation. At the very least I would take it apart and inspect it rather then quess.

baldzilla

Cadet

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I have no idea how to "drop the lower unit" or change the impeller, so I guess I'll find a shop to take care of it. I appreciate all the help, I think it is too big an investment to risk.
Thanks
MAS

jbjennings

Captain

Yep, Probably worth the peace of mind just to have it changed. Sorry for the bad advice. It would be interesting to get the shop to show you the impeller that came out of it.
JBJ

baldzilla

Cadet

No advice is bad advice, thanks. I think I am going to run it one last trip since I can't get these guys in town again for a year, and then I'll take it in. I know I am taking a chance, but I ran it last night for 30 minutes and no overheating...so I am going to warn the guys it may be a tow boat trip back in if I am wrong!!!

mather911

Cadet

What motor is it? Most only have about 6 bolts to drop the lower unit and peek at it. I have a 1974 150hp and a complete water pump change only takes me about 45 minutes to an hour. I consider the pump to be routine maintenence just like plugs etc. I change mine every year because I run in salt water, then keep the old impeller for emergencies. It would be worth your while to learn how to change it, saves money and your weekend won't be ruined waiting for a shop to get to it. Good luck.

baldzilla

Cadet

Mather, it is a 2003 Mercury 4 stroke saltwater.

I guess what scares me is hearing people say "drop the lower unit" I am on a lift and do all my maintenance on the lower unit from a paint float. Do you know any websites, etc that might show me how to do it? I'd love to learn how to do it all...until 6 months ago I couldnt change my own oil or spark plugs, so I am learning slowly..

Thanks
Mark

baldzilla

Cadet

That is a great site, thanks a million!!!