Evinrunde 50hp Water Pump Removal Prob

Boatonbrain

Cadet
I'm replacing the impeller on my water pump (first time) and have a problem getting it and the baseplate off the drive shaft. The motor is a Evinrude 1988 50 hp tiller. I have a manual but it does not cover this issue. Right under the gear on the top end of the drive shaft is a ring that is slightly larger in diameter than the shaft. The impeller and plate will not slide off.

Obviously the existing impeller got on the shaft so my question is should I be forcing this issue or is there a way to get the ring off?

Any help will be appreciated.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrunde 50hp Water Pump Removal Prob

Are you speaking of the rubber o-ring in the groove at the top of the shaft? Just stretch it out of the groove. Make sure you have a good or new one there when you reassemble. And lube it and those "gear" splines It is extremely important.

Boatonbrain

Cadet

Yes thank you VA! It was caked in grease and stiff so I assumed it was metal. Looking at it closer it is a rubber ring. Any suggestions on what to use or not to use on sealing the plate or pump upon reassembly?

Thanks for the tip on greasing the splines.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

As FR said, re grease those drive shaft splines. While the grease gun is out, remove the prop and grease the prop shaft splines, and clean off any old fishing line that is wrapped around it (also important). You will need a can of Gasket Sealing Compound for underneath the base plate, housing screws, etc... I use BRP's with the built in brush in the lid. The following video may be of some help. Good luck.

water pump.jpg

http://www.meegsonline.com/tmd/waterpump.wmv