Pick-up tube removal from fuel tank

winsarah

Cadet
Been awhile since I have needed the forum- So long that I picked up a Chris Craft 177 GD with OMC Cobra 4.3. Have removed the fuel tank- AFP 23 Gal plastic. Lots of bad gas/water/debris taken out of it. Blew through the anti-siphon while still on the tank, then blew through the pick-up tube with no anti-siphon and dislodged a pine needle among other junk. This was all done while still connected to the tank. I tried unscrewing the unit from the tank but it just turns- VERY stiffly- without unthreading. It is plastic female/metal male and then brass anti-siphon. I have heard of a screen but cannot see one. Should I continue to struggle getting it all separated to find a screen and if so how?
All the Best,
Win

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Pick-up tube removal from fuel tank

Could post a photo of what your dealing with it would really help you get some answers? It's hard to visualize what you have there, if it's a brass or aluminum thread with a plastic coupling you should be able to seperate them, a little juice can do wonders and rather than just keep turning it you should maybe grab it with big channel lock or something and smack it with a mallet sometimes the shock will get it turning free, keep trying to get at that sock screen or whatevers in there.

winsarah

Cadet

Will try and post a photo tomorrow. In the meantime:
The threaded(metal) male section that threads into the plastic topside of the tank is what just keeps turning- I could heat it a little? The tank is free of all gas residue.
Thanks!
Win

a70eliminator

Captain

Ok, thats a better description, the plastic female thread is molded as part of the tank and you have a male fitting threading into that, when you try to thread it out it turns like but it's not threading itself out, that sounds like the threads have been pulled (stripped) and the only way to get it out is to pull hard on the fitting at the same time you unscrew it, hopefully you can get it to grab hold of a thread and it will then start to thread itself out normally, you can try heating it up a little before you try pull threading it out, but only just a little to soften up the thread and nothing more.

winsarah

Cadet

Ok, here are a couple of photos. For the life of me I cannot get this thing out.
Thanks!
Win

Attachments

• closeup1.JPG
    closeup1.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
  • side1.JPG
    side1.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 0
  • wide1.JPG
    wide1.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 0

a70eliminator

Captain

Nice pictures, comon guys no one else wanting to chime in on this one but me. Looks like nothing more than a thru hull type bulkhead fitting, I would think if you grab the big nut with the channel locks and grab the other fitting with a cresent wrench, screw the big nut counter-clockwise while holding the top fitting and something is going to turn, when you say the whole thing is turning I can't see it because if you hold the top fitting it cant turn without unthreading, shheww did I say that right.

winsarah

Cadet

I can get the nut off no problem. Once it is off I then try the to unthread whole unit. It seems to catch every 1/4 turn- never gets easier to turn in any direction. There is not any thing on the inside holding it - just the molded plastic. Would the screen be with-in the tube in the photo? Thank you so much for staying with me on this!
Win

a70eliminator

Captain

Sorry I have no idea whats in there but someone will come along soon that knows exactly what you'll need to do, get a plumbers inspection mirror and maybe you can see whats inside.

winsarah

Cadet

Thanks, will try a mirror. Since I dislodged all the crap by blowing through the tube do you think it is still an issue? Meaning am I just trying to get this out to reveal a screen/no screen and it is a moot point?
Best,
Win

winsarah

Cadet

I'm thinking of just putting it all back together and giving it a go. Any thoughts?

winsarah

Cadet

So if there is no filter in the pick-up tube then will the fuel/water separator filter be enough?

winsarah

Cadet

Can this post be moved back to the Mercruiser, Volvo and OMC I/O or Inboard Engine Problems board?