How does your boat track?

Geo2008

Banned
How does your boat track:

1. Low speed while getting on plane?

2. High speed while on plane?

Can you let go of the wheel and have it track straight or do all boats pull to the right somewhat?

Geo

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How does your boat track?

I have dual hydraulic and mine tracks straight at all times.
If your boat is pulling one way or the other, the trim tab on the lower unit might need adjusted.

Geo2008

Banned

I have dual hydraulic and mine tracks straight at all times.
If your boat is pulling one way or the other, the trim tab on the lower unit might need adjusted.

It is a Mercury 125 ELPTO and I don't think it has adjustable tabs on the lower unit.

Geo

Geo2008

Banned

Little skeg right above the prop.

Is this it? Do I just loosen the top bolt, adjust the little fin above the prop, then tighten the bolt?

If it is pulling right then which way should I move the rear of the little fin?

Geo

Attachments

• IMG_4048.JPG
    IMG_4048.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 0

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Sea Ray 230 - single engine I/O. At slow speed, it tracks all over the place... left then right then left, etc. I just assume it's the nature of the beast. Up on plane it's fine.
I don't see how the zinc above the prop would have any effect? This is a question.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yup...thats it....think of it as a rudder.....if the boat is pulling one way...it needs to go the other

Geo2008

Banned

I sincerely and truly appreciate you guys, this forum is amazing in how you can seamlessly tie together the Playground (Lake. Ocean) with the Toys(Boats) and the Rules of the game (expert advice / coaching).

I hope this works!

Geo

ziggy

Admiral

yep, thats the trim tab. if yer boat pulls right (starboard), turns easiest that way. ya need to adj. the tab to right to counteract that pull. if it pulls (turns easierst) left(port). adj. the tab left. these tabs are to be adj. for when yer at yer typical load, trim, and speed. all other conditions. the tab will not be adj. properly for, so some pulling one way or the other is expected. unless yer at yer typical load, trim and speed. then it should track straight.
my vhull wanders at low speed. but if ya go far enough, it wanders mostly straight. i track straight at my speed that i usely go, around 2.8K, trim slightly up. all other speeds and loads and trims, i pull alittle one way or the other......

QC

Supreme Mariner

2) The drive mounted trim tab affects on plane directional control.
I don't see how the zinc above the prop would have any effect? This is a question.
Mercruisers with power steering often have only a flat zinc and adjustment will have no affect.

1) The only way to improve low speed wander is buy a true inboard or buy Hull Mounted Trim Tabs. Either Smart Tabs or Helm Adjustable (my preference). These devices have absolutely nothing to do with the trim tab on the drive, but when left in the full down position have a significant impact on low speed wander. They also permit lower planing speeds, better hole shot and potentially improved top speed. All v-hulls should come standard with them, but very few do . . .

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

What Ziggy said. Every boat I ever owned wandered a little off-plane. That little tab serves dual purposes. It is also usually one of the sacrificial zinc anodes on your motor so do not paint it as I see many people do. Over time, especially in salt water, electrolysis will eat (corrode) them to minimize corrosion on your motor. This is intentional.

Geo2008

Banned

Ziggy and Oops have provided conflicting advice on which way to adjust the trim tab.:confused:

So what's the real deal?

If the boat is pulling to the right then which way should I adjust the back of the trim tab?

Geo

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Every boat is different. I have a mod V- hull. It has a 30 degree dead rise at the bow and a 22 degree dead rise at the transom. At slow speed it will wonders all over the place and there isn?t anything you can do about it except feed it HP to get it a track better.

On the other hand high speed is a different game. When the boat is trimmed properly the prop torque completely disappears. The boat tracks well enough for me to walk away from the helm at 30 kts. and its very hard to steer left or right off track.

Geo2008

Banned

EWhen the boat is trimmed properly the prop torque completely disappears. The boat tracks well enough for me to walk away from the helm at 30 kts. and its very hard to steer left or right off track.

You are lucky, last week I was cruising at 3/4 throttle and let go of the wheel for a split second and all the ladies in the boat screamed because the boat tried to take a quick sharp right.

This weekend I plan to make the trim tab adjustment that Ziggy suggested and hopefully I too can track straight.

Geo

Geo2008

Banned
Re: How does your boat track? - UPDATE

Re: How does your boat track? - UPDATE

Thanks guys, I made the adjustment to the trim tab and it worked perfectly - straight tracking!!!!