Cobra Lower Drive - Leaking Oil

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
I noticed my boat in my garage had leaked a little drive oil this weekend. The week before last we had the boat out for the first time this year. Then brought the boat home, lowered the drive and it's been sitting since. The oil seems to be coming from behind the prop. Are there seals in that area that could be worn out and could be replaced fairly easy? The motor/drive is a 94 OMC/Cobra 3.0. I know you can't see my drive and I haven't given to much info but before I start taking it apart I wanted to kind of know what I might be getting into. BTW, there wasn't that much oil that came out. Maybe two 3 inches round area. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cobra Lower Drive - Leaking Oil

Remove the prop and look. There are seals under there, but unless you have a manual, I wouldn't advise pulling the drive apart. While it only leaked a small amount in your drive, how much leaked out while it was running? Did water leak INTO the drive.
I would suggest draining the oil and doing a pressure test to verify where the leak is coming from.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cobra Lower Drive - Leaking Oil

Don thanks for the quick response, I will try to get a chance tonight to pull the prop to see if I can determine where the leak is coming from. Also I will check to make sure no water has came into the drive or anywhere else. I didn't realize I could do a pressure test on the drive....I will look into that and also order a manual for this drive unit. Again thanks