HOW do I take my prop OFFFFFF!!!!!!

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can someone PLEASE expalin to me how to get my prop off of my engine??? It is a 70hp force.........I bought it from an individual used, the engine is a 75hp force, but the lower unit is from a 70hp force due to him nailing a stump with the original one. Anyways, i cant figure out how to take the prop off??? How do you keep it from spinning when taking it off, also how do you take the nut off connecting to it. it has some kind of special washer of some sort that appears to be holding it on??/ Any advice appriciated!!!:confused:

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: HOW do I take my prop OFFFFFF!!!!!!

and.............do what with the 2x4?????? Kinduv lost with that reply??

swrupert83

Seaman

you put it above the prop, so that it stops it from spinning, as in between the prop and the rest of the engine. then you just get out your socket set and take that nut right off...

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok that makes sense...NOW what about the laking looking washer holding it in place (the nut in place) how do i get it off. it has to looking fins that come to the top of the nut and are pinned to the nut.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Sounds like you have a lock washer under the nut. You pry those fins down and out of the way to take the nut off. They're bent up against the nut to prevent the nut from accidentally working loose and loosing your propeller. When you re-install the nut after putting the propeller on, you bend those fins back up against the nut.

ifishhard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help guys!! But i have one more question....To pry the fins open what tool do you reccommend i use?? Also do i need to get another washer becasue bending the washer down then back up would weaken it wouldnt it??? Thanks agian!!:)

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

No special tool required in most cases. A medium or large flat bladed screw driver. Sometimes helps to use a hammer to really straighten the tabs out to get clearance on the nut to put a wrench or socket on. There should be a several tabs. Some bent, also hopefully, some straight tabs that have never been bent. You are correct. If you try and rebend one of the tabs that was previously used, then it may break. If this is the case, pick one of the tabs that has not been bent before. If all the tabs are in bad shape, then you have no choice to replace the washer. Available here on IBoats.com.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

A word of caution, if you use hammer, be very careful. Don't want to cause any damage to the nut, threads on the propeller shaft, or internal gears/bearings attached to the prop shaft.