How long for motor to warm up?

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys,

I am taking the boat out tomorrow and want to run some OMC engine tuner through it tonight. The bottle says to run motor at normal operating temperature before adding the engine tuner.

Now, running on the muffs in my driveway how long should I have to run it to get to normal operating temperature?

The motor is a 2004 Johnson 50HP 2-stroke, it idles on the hose around 1500 RPM.

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: How long for motor to warm up?

Maybe forever. You need to take it out on the water and run it wide open throttle for a few minutes to get it up to max operating temp. But running it on the muffs for say 3 or 4 minutes will get it about as warm as you are going to get it in the driveway. Does it really matter? I dunno.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

running engine tuner is definitely best done on the water.

it can be done on the hose if you like, although its better to get the engine fully warmed up, and better to run it under load to burn it out.

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I plan on burning out the tuner on the water tomorrow when I take it out.

The problem is I usually only use the boat once a week or once every two weeks this time of year. This would mean I would have to leave the tuner in the motor for a week between trips.

So to avoid this I want to use the tuner when the motor is on the muffs in my driveway and then take it to the lake the next day.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

im sure it will be just fine to do that.

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I performed the decarb and everything worked fine. The only thing strange I found was that when I started to spray the decarb the motor began to stumble and the motor blew a lot of the Engine Tuner out the carbs into the air silencer. Don't know if this is normal or not.

Started it up today and burnt off the solution in the motor. It did not smoke as bad as I have heard it should smoke, but the exhaust is under the water. I also noticed zero difference in motor performance. I guess my motor did not need it. I thought it might help since I use my motor mostly slow trolling. I do use synthetic oil so maybe that cuts down on the carbon build up. I will probably continue to do it once a season though.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

A way to tell if your motor needs a decarb is to shine a flash light (mag light) into the spark plug hole and have a look see at the top of the pistons with the piston sitting on top. If the top of the pistons are black then it wouldn't be a bad idea to decarb the motor.

From what I have read on certain decarb brands (quick silver for example), it is not suggested to run the motor on muffs when decarbing the motor, you could run it in a barrel with the engine in neutral. After decarbing mine the plugs did have flakes on them from the carbon build up breaking loose from the pistons. Yes it can smoke alot after a good decarb job.

Even if you assume your motor didn't need a decarb (after doing the procedure) it didn't hurt your motor by doing so, if nothing else it helped it in the long run.

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did inspect the piston tops with the flashlight method and they still do look black in some spots. You can see where there is carbon and where there is not, it is patchy. Perhaps I did not get all of it out, it is the only time I have done it in 3 years.

I am going on a fishing trip in 4 weeks where the boat will stay in the water for 3 days, maybe I will give it another try during this trip where I can get it up to operating temperature in the water.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I did inspect the piston tops with the flashlight method and they still do look black in some spots. You can see where there is carbon and where there is not, it is patchy. Perhaps I did not get all of it out, it is the only time I have done it in 3 years.

I am going on a fishing trip in 4 weeks where the boat will stay in the water for 3 days, maybe I will give it another try during this trip where I can get it up to operating temperature in the water.

I don't believe it will hurt to do another decarb on that motor, but really you could just hold off on another decarb run it and see if it helps clear it up more durring your time on the water.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Run some tuner or Seafoam in the tank too. It will keep the system clean..