Oil leaks from screw on bottom after changing oil

jack7771

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re 1986 Evinrude 110 hp:

I changed the oil at end of my boating season last year and got two new washers for the lower gear case screws. There doesn't seem to be any problem with the screw on top, but oil is very slowly dripping from the one on the bottom. I made sure the washer was there and re-seated that screw. However, it is still dripping, and I haven't run the engine yet this year.

The marine store mailed me the same plastic washers for both the top and bottom screws -- do I need something different for the bottom? Okay, duh, apparently so, but what?

Jack

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Oil leaks from screw on bottom after changing oil

I would put another new washer on it.You are using the white nylon ones?
Any Evinrude dealer will sell you a handful.
Every time you remove the screw it needs to have a new washer put on.

freddyray21

Commander

make sure the old one it out also. made the mistake one time of not doing it. One will seal good two will not.

iwombat

Captain

Could be you have the plugs that take the o-rings. Does the underside have a groove, or is it flat?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

make sure the old one it out also. made the mistake one time of not doing it. One will seal good two will not.
I have done that before too...Had to use a small pick to get the first washer out after i realized it was there.

jack7771

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, I did take the old one out, and that's why I got a new one -- ordered it via Internet so I didn't have to drive 45 min each way.

>Could be you have the plugs that take the o-rings. Does the underside have a groove, or is it flat?<

You know, the parts manual does list two different parts for diagram #53A and one is a washer and one is an O ring. I'll have to take a closer look at the screw. But the previous washer was not a white nylon one like the replacement I got -- it was black made of different material I think.

Jack

jack7771

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, as it turns out, I have a more serious problem than a washer. The TRUE oil leak is coming out the bottom of the hub where the prop is. I took the prop off, and yep, somehow the gearcase oil is coming out there (of course, the real leak is inside the hub up front in that dark cavity somewhere). Drat. How easy is it to fix this problem?

Jack

P.S. I think I'll start a new thread for this -- Oil Leak from Gear Case Hub