WMK-30 Float Level Adjustment

1980 Mercury 90 HP Outboard
Model: 1090620 90ELPTO
Serial: 7179095

Soaked carbs and cleaned up well, installed new gaskets, needles & seats. Checked float levels per Mercury Service Manual. Installed new plugs, & performed complete timing and syncronization procedure. Installed ear muffs, started engine & adjusted carbs. Motor ran smooth. Took to ramp to test run. Started engine, running smooth, then gas started pouring out of bottom of front cowling. Shut off engine, removed cowling & discovered center carb gushing gas out vent. Tapped on carb to try jarring float to no avail. Manual states with float bowl cover inverted, the secondary lever is supposed to be 13/32" or 10mm. From where? top of rim for gasket, gasket suface without gasket or gasket surface with gasket? Thanks in advance. and all info appreciated.

Laddies

Banned
Re: WMK-30 Float Level Adjustment

scan0002.jpg

Yeah Laddies, Thanks for the diagram, I have that page in my manual. My question was where is the bottom of measurement "d" from? When cover is inverted, it has a rim around the inside where the gasket seats. Is "d" meaured from the top of that rim? or the surface where the gasket goes? and with gasket on or off? Also, if you have the whole manual on your computer, I sure would like to get a copy of it. The one I have I scanned, and it has grease prints and all...LOL. And hey, for that matter, I'd like to have all the info you have on this old motor. I need all the help I can get :)

Laddies

Banned

The measurement is from the gasket flange

Alrightythen, Guess it's time to tear 'em back out and do some checking. What a let down to do a job as good as you can so you won't have to go back, and still have problems.......UGH! :(

I tore center carb back apart and readjusted float. Seemed to take care of the bleeding gas issue. Thanks!!:) Although now I am battling an idle issue. Engine won't idle less than 1200rpm in gear & 1600 rpm in neutral. and at idle (backing off trailer, or trying to line up to drive on trailer) engine loads up and dies. Twice I have had it in the water and twice I have had to winch it on the trailer. After the first run, about an hour on the water, I stopped and adjusted the idle mixture screws on the carbs. Went in with screw til skip, out till smooth, then 1/4 turn out past smooth, on all 3 carbs. Still acts like it loads up, stalls, and floods. Any thoughts anyone? When I'm in the water, I'd really like to be fishin' instead of sweating engine trouble. Thanks in advance for all your help :)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Astro, First check idle pickup timing. If it is to spec, back off on idle stop screw until idel RPM is 1000RPM. Now look at the post I did for Monk-Monk on adjusting the carb idle mixture.