Rhino lining interior of jon boat??????

jaysboat

Recruit
I have an idea for the interior of my jon boat but would like other opinions. I looked up all the painting advice for the outside of the jon boat so thats set. I am interested to know if anyone has ever used the do it yourself rhino lining for the inside of a boat. I want to put something durable down thats easy to hose off and will also help to deaden sound on the bottom of the boat but also dont want to add alot of weight from using plywood wrapped with carpet etc. Has anyone out there used this or does anyone forsee a problem with this idea. All opinions would be appreciated before I screw something up:)

mtduckhunter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rhino lining interior of jon boat??????

i used the herculiner do-it-yourself kit in my duck boat. i really like it and its easy to wash off. its really durable, but you have to clean the aluminum VERY good. i grinded the whole bottom of my boat to be sure it stuck.

Attachments

• Picture 229.jpg
    Picture 229.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 231.jpg
    Picture 231.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 230.jpg
    Picture 230.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 0

rndn

Commander

Welcome to the forum!!:):)
I think it's a great idea.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

No doubt that it is a good choice. There is an episode on Smash Lab on one of the Discovery channels that tested the stuff. Rino lining is advertised as being blast proof and they proved that it is. I wish I had done that after the stringer and transom replacement was done on my boat. Only drawback that I would see is its ability to be removed for future repairs.......SS

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i used the herculiner do-it-yourself kit in my duck boat. i really like it and its easy to wash off. its really durable, but you have to clean the aluminum VERY good. i grinded the whole bottom of my boat to be sure it stuck.

With aluminum you save yourself the grinding by washing it with trisodium phosphate after paint removal. It will etch the aluminum for you. Care MUST be taken not to let it stay on the surface to long. :)
BTW this is the recommended procedure when using KOOL SEAL before using their primer also. :)

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a great idea to me!

leserz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

in rebuilding the damaged area of the Pentagon they are using a dura liner type material on the interior walls to help prevent pieces of the wall acting like shrapnel flying through the air in case some other idiots try to crash a plane into it again.
so i think it should work on a boat floor.. i'm thinking of coating plywood on all sides with the stuff. that should seal wood for good. thinking of using it on my stringers also then screw the floor to the stringers. and use some of the dura liner to fill the screw holes then screw the floor to the stringers. my old stringers were not bonded to the boat hull just sat on hull then they used foam to hold in place then laid the ply floor over the stringers then laid glass over that. shuld be cheaper than marine ply and fiber glass and resin.

captbjack

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you may want to look at getting something in a light color to keep the heat down. just my 2 pennies

morriscrazy

Cadet

Locate your nearest Line-X dealer. They are spraying colors now and can match the color of your boat or whatever you would like. We just sprayed tan in a customer's boat that he is redoing and he was very pleased with it. He wanted it to be close to the color of one of the stripes on the outside of the boat.
He will never have to paint the inside of his boat again.

jaysboat

Recruit

Thanks for all the input!!! this site is GREAT! I did get some advice with a product called "Durabak". expensive but worth it. Comes in all colors and you can even get it in a smooth finish but is still slip resistant and all that good stuff.
Looks like all I have left to decide on is a good color scheme:)