livewell

leafs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have purchased a 1990 vanguard boat,it has a home made livewell,in the well it self it has a pump on the bottom (minn king 360) and the outside of the well there is a aerator pump(attwood a 500) mounted on the hull,How does the livewell work does the outside pump ,pump the water in and the pump in the livewell pumps water out,should both be running at the same time,I can't seem to get either pump to come on .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: livewell

it's really hard to tell. and aerator pump usually just pumps air into the water, to oxygenate the water. the pump in the bottom probably just circulates the water in the well. you may have to fill with a bucket, or there may be a thru hull fitting that allow water to come in, then you plug it, and unplug it to drain.

there is absolutely no way for me to know what some did. you can put power to the motor directly off the battery to test the motors, then run down wiring to a switch. there also could be a fuse blown.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You may need to take them out and inspect them,I have have had them quit when a small stone or something got stuck in the impeller.
It sounds like the Atwood is to fill the livewell and the other is to recirculate the water in the livewell.
As Tashasdaddy said, I would put power directly on them to see if they even work first then start trouble shooting from there if they do.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

actually, a better discription, and pics would help.

you can up load to a free service like photobucket.com then you choose the pictures you want( clik the little box at the bottom left of the picture) scrool to the bottom of the page, clik generate html, it will take you to the next page, scroll down to thumb nails clik on that and copy, then insert it into your post.

also if you are planing on posting pictures, you can use the Blue post reply or the go advanced, manage attachments, there you can upload , directly from your computer. besure you pictures have been resized to fit the format.