Suzuki DT200 compression??

2fastCV

Recruit
I don't know anything about these Suzuki's, from what I gather they are a very differant beast. My outboard has 110-115 on all 6 holes. 2 others have told me that 115 is good, yet 1 has told me the opposite, that it's nearing a rebuild. Can somebody help clear this up?? What is good compression and what is low compression and what is bad??

grid

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki DT200 compression??

Your readings are going to be year-dependent. Sometimes bass-boaters "demonstrated" a need to lower the compression. Other times it was the other way 'round. There's nothing wrong with 115#. If there's less than 10% between the highest and lowest readings, you're okay. If the carbs are spotless and the engine runs great at WOT, and idles perfectly, the compression's fine. I wish I could give you fact after fact, but that's the way they are.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

PSI readings are dependent on the guage and the technique to too great a degree to say that Xpsi is good and X-Ypsi is not good.

What is important is that all cylinders fall in a 10-15% span, as yours do.

The probability that all 6 cylinders would develop problems to the same degree at once is just about zero.

2fastCV

Recruit

Thanks guys, I feel better. I just got burnt on an Evinrude that had 140 in 2 and 105 and 115 in the other 2. $1,000 set back. The block needed sleeved as the rings broke and tore up the walls pretty good. This other feller that told me my Suzuki should have around 145 psi or so kinda startled me. But if that were the case, as stated, what are the odds of all 6 dropping to 110-115 at the same time yet remaining fairly even? :) Now my issue will be mounting this 430lb beast on my lil CV16......and not having it sink. :)

hankll

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not to be an alarmist, but is your boat rated for a 200 horse? My 19' Procraft is only rated for 200 hp.

2fastCV

Recruit

lol of corse not. It's rated for 120hp. If it was rated for 200 I'd be buting a 250 on it. With over power and over wieght motor I know I have a couple issues. One, the back being too heavy. I have a 20 gal fuel tank mounted up front, along with anchor, gear and other heavy items to help counter the weight. I'll also be installing knee braces to the transom to strengthen it. It should hold up fine. I won't be able to go full throttle though as the cv won't handle well at all over 70. But getting to 70 should be a breeze