wellcraft/volvo trim-tilt won't go up

garye5007

Cadet
Hello!
I have a 1994 wellcraft excel 26se with a volvo 572/sp.
trim/tilt wont go up. i switched connectors near the pump and the reverse happens (no down). the switch is in the handle i suspect either a bad connection or a bad switch. i can get to the wires between the handle and pump. without pulling the handle, i can't seem to get to the connectors behind handle (if there are any there) how do i pin down where the problem lies?
Any help would be appreciated!
thanks,
Gary

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: wellcraft/volvo trim-tilt won't go up

Which trim pump do you have?

Volvotrimpumps.png

garye5007

Cadet

Hello Don,
Mine looks like the later Model.

Thanks, Gary

Don S

Now on to the next question, that I should have asked before.
Do you have a trim gauge, if so is it digital and is it round or square.

IF you can get to the wires from the handle, disconnect them and check (with an ohm meter) between the red (or red/purple) wire to the green (Down) and push the button. It should show continuity. Then do the same between the red and the blue wire (UP) If you have continuity, the the switch is good. There are no connectors inside the handle. The switchs are usually factory soldered connections.

garye5007

Cadet

Don,
I have a analog trim gauge, round.
I should be able to get to the wires behind a panel midship. i'll check as you described to check the switch.

Thanks again for your help!
Gary

garye5007

Cadet

Hello Don,
the switch on the handle checks ok, it appears someone looked here before...
(automotive type butt connecors on those wires) I'll make sure those are good by replacing them with marine connectors. if that doesn't fix the problem, where do i check next? i (foolishly?) previosly replaced the relays at the pump.
(they didn't look good but i assume they were ok because that didn't fix it).
Thanks, Gary

Last edited:

Don S

Below is a VERY simplified wiring diagram of your trim system that I put together, so don't even try to find it in a manual.
You know you have power to the switch in the handle, because the trim works UP.
What you need to do now is verify that you have power to both relays (red wires) and ALL the grounds are good (Black wires) at the relays. Then you will need to check that you are getting power to the green and blue wires at the relays when the trim switch is operated.

Trim.png

ripped_78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check the relays at the helm I had the exact same problem and there are a total of four relays two at the transom and two at the helm. Mine were behind the guages. Do some swapping before you throw around any money.

Robj

Lieutenant

Hello!
I have a 1994 wellcraft excel 26se with a volvo 572/sp.
trim/tilt wont go up. i switched connectors near the pump and the reverse happens (no down). the switch is in the handle i suspect either a bad connection or a bad switch. i can get to the wires between the handle and pump. without pulling the handle, i can't seem to get to the connectors behind handle (if there are any there) how do i pin down where the problem lies?
Any help would be appreciated!
thanks,
Gary

Doesn't this suggest that the relay at the trim motor is bad?? If you switch and the reverse happened, no down, that to me means that the relay is bad.

Have a great day,

Rob.

garye5007

Cadet

the relays at the trim motor are new... i'll try the relays at the helm, they aren't.
also, per don s. advice , i have to check for power and gnds at the relay connectors at the pump.

Thanks for the advice!

Don S

You shouldn't have the front relays since you have an analog gauge. They worked in conjunction with the digial gauges and beach mode.
Do you have trim limit on your boat?

Robj

Lieutenant

When you switched connectors, you said the down didn't work then, whereas before the up did not work. To me this means that the problem is downstream of the connector, or possibly the relay connection itself. That is where I would be looking. Take the relay out and check for voltage, one should be hot all the time, whereas the other will only be hot once the switch is activated. I know the relay is new, could it possibly be faulty?? It is a fairly simple circuit and should not be that difficult to troubleshoot.

Have a great day,

Rob.

ripped_78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have analog guages and I have four relays. It is easier to swap out some relays than chasing a wire. Try the simple things first.

garye5007

Cadet

yes there is a trim limit on my boat. i have to press a switch on dash to raise it to beach mode. there are 2 relays hanging under the dash... i'm afraid i haven't figured out what they do. anyway i swapped them and it didn't make any difference. next i'm gonna go back to the relays and connectors by the pump.

ripped_78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you checked the relays by the pump yet?

garye5007

Cadet

Ok, I've been all over this thing. i have 12v after the switch. 12v and gnds are ok at the relays at the pump. here's where things get weird,12v at green wire to relay by the pump (down, down works). getting about 6v at the blue wireto relay at the pump when going down 0v when pressing up switch.when i pull up relay, down relay clicks, pump doesn't run.up relay never clicks i raised the drive by switching wires (pressing down switch) . sealed electronic module under dash (trim limit?) red light goes on when drive reaches, i assume, trim limit, and goes out at the proper time when lowering.

garye5007

Cadet

Please don't abandon me now! I really want to fix this myself. I suspect the trim limit but it is a expensive part and if i bring it to the boat yard i'll pay thru the nose for sure! if i'm pretty sure, i'll pick one up and swap it myself.
i did try swapping the relays under the dash... no change... if someone thinks i need to replace them, they aren't as pricy as the trim limit, but i don't want to replace whats not broke.any help would be greatly appreciated!
Gary

Don S

Ok, in this drawing, do you have power to the solid blue wire on the pump relay (on trim pump) when you push the trim button to up?

Trim.png

garye5007

Cadet

no, no power on the blue wire at the relay when i push button up.
thanks for helping me work this out, Gary

Don S

Here is the problem, Volvo doesn't make a troubleshooting chart for the trim system, and none of the wiring diagrams show an analog gauge. To make matters worse, in the wiring diagram they show every possible combination of Volvo plugs and wiring. Which you probably don't have with an analog gauge.
I also haven't had to work on one of those systems for a couple of years, so things are a little hard to figure out.
About the best I can do is give you the OEM wiring diagram, and hope you can figure out what happens when.
Just remember, blue is up and green is down. That makes troubleshooting a bit easier.

Volvotrimwiringdiagram.png