stringer for a tri hull and cross members

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer
im putting in a new stringer and cross members in my boat. do i have to glue them in place before i glass them, and if i do what kind of glue should i use.

thanks

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: stringer for a tri hull and cross members

you need a bedding compound to keep the string off the hull......

peanut butter..is common...(cabosil, glass bubbles chopped strand)..

the latest trend here is to use pl preimum, pl 9000,

if you use these...cure them before you glass...minimun 24 hours.

cheers
oops

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

so i dont want the wood touching the fiberglass. man this is weird use peanutbutter ? how much of a gap do i need between the wood and the hull

oops!

Supreme Mariner

so i dont want the wood touching the fiberglass. man this is weird use peanutbutter ? how much of a gap do i need between the wood and the hull

1/4 inch is good......and yup ...peanut butter...:D.....watch out...there is a lot of controversy on these forums over what kind...!

some guys swear by jiffy.....i think there nuts. some have had great sucess with bulk bin peanut butter....

but for a really well built hull.... i use only the best.....squrril....smooth....(the chunky will eventually grind into the hull making a hull of a sound, and wear thru the glass!

cheers
oops

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the fast reply. why do you have to put a 1/4 bed for the stringer and cross members wouldnt you want them to sit right on the hull for max support of the hull. wont the peannut butter wear away over time and leave a gap were the hull can smack into the wood.

sorry im new to this and this is not making sense. i would have thought glue the stringer and cross members to the hull so the hull cant flex.

thanks for being patient with me

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thanks for the fast reply. why do you have to put a 1/4 bed for the stringer and cross members wouldnt you want them to sit right on the hull for max support of the hull. wont the peannut butter wear away over time and leave a gap were the hull can smack into the wood.

sorry im new to this and this is not making sense. i would have thought glue the stringer and cross members to the hull so the hull cant flex.

thanks for being patient with me

heee heee :D... i was just funnin with ya..:D

and you can ask what ever you want here..(bout boats)...the guys here are really knowalagable and willing to help....:)

ok...its called a hard joint....in some of the early boats ...stringers were just laid on the hull and some times even glassed in !...

they found out that wasnt the best idea...you want the stringer off the hull just a weeeee bit.....most if the stregnth comes from the glass...in particulas the top section of a glassed stringer...think i beam....(but you dont have to cap the stringers)

to bed the stringers...you can use pl preimium or 9000....
a general way is yes peanut butter...(thats just what its called :D)

its a mixture of cabosil, glass bubbles, chopped strand, and fiber glass resin...all mixed togeather till it has the constincancy of peanut butter.....

here... im doing a stringer job right now....read this....pay particular attention to the safety stuff...its mega important....

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

that one...has a bit of everything....

this is another one...it is the forums basic tutorial

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,346,00.html

hope that all helps.......

ps ...it will be interesting reading what all the guys say bout the peanut butter...:D

ive gotta run and put in more hours on my proj now...ill be back on later....
but a lot of guys will jump on this one right away!

cheers
oops

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

this is a pic of a stringer bedded with peanut butter....

again..peanut butter is a term used for cabosil, glass bubbles, chopped strand and glass resin

picgroup25018.jpg

jcsercsa

Captain

heee heee :D... i was just funnin with ya..:D

and you can ask what ever you want here..(bout boats)...the guys here are really knowalagable and willing to help....:)

ok...its called a hard joint....in some of the early boats ...stringers were just laid on the hull and some times even glassed in !...

they found out that wasnt the best idea...you want the stringer off the hull just a weeeee bit.....most if the stregnth comes from the glass...in particulas the top section of a glassed stringer...think i beam....(but you dont have to cap the stringers)

to bed the stringers...you can use pl preimium or 9000....
a general way is yes peanut butter...(thats just what its called :D)

its a mixture of cabosil, glass bubbles, chopped strand, and fiber glass resin...all mixed togeather till it has the constincancy of peanut butter.....

here... im doing a stringer job right now....read this....pay particular attention to the safety stuff...its mega important....

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

that one...has a bit of everything....

this is another one...it is the forums basic tutorial

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,346,00.html

hope that all helps.......

ps ...it will be interesting reading what all the guys say bout the peanut butter...:D

ive gotta run and put in more hours on my proj now...ill be back on later....
but a lot of guys will jump on this one right away!

cheers
oops

What oops said !!! yea i thought it was kind of strange also !! cause they had my stringer glassed right to the hull !! I asked the same thing and thats what everyone said .. so good luck do you have any pics ?? have fun John

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

ok that makes more sense. you started to scare me for a second.i think im going to use the pl 9000 stuff seems easier to use than the peanut butter. i started to make the cross members for my boat today i doubled up 2- 3/4 pieces of ply wood for them. they are only about 5 in deep (top to bottom) i figured it would be easier to hit with screws when putting the deck on. i see in your post about your boat you used only a single 3/4 board do you plan on nailing or screwing the deck down or glueing.

ok thanks again

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

no i dont have a digital camera so no pics sorry

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok that makes more sense. you started to scare me for a second.i think im going to use the pl 9000 stuff seems easier to use than the peanut butter. i started to make the cross members for my boat today i doubled up 2- 3/4 pieces of ply wood for them. they are only about 5 in deep (top to bottom) i figured it would be easier to hit with screws when putting the deck on. i see in your post about your boat you used only a single 3/4 board do you plan on nailing or screwing the deck down or glueing.

ok thanks again

if you use pl ...let it fully cure before glassing the stringers in...48 hrs...pl wont cure when under resin....see "dont gob and glass pl"

i will be putting in cross braces on top of the stringers just under the deck height.....6 ins wide....(doing that today)...at 4 foot intervals.....

(they will lay on the flat)

some people call them ribs or frames.....

frame is a better term here because ribs uasually have full contact with the hull....

i will be screwing into this.....
around the edge of the sole..(floor, deck where it meets the hull )..ill use pl preimum......then glass the whole shabang into the hull....

the underside of the deck will also be glassed with .05 oz chopped strand matt......this is just a water barrier.

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and john.....ya missed the peanut butter stuff in post 4.....lol :D