1989 70 hp Mercury Lower Unit

jd438

Seaman
I recently came across a 1989 70 hp Mercury engine serial OC137125. The motor was on it's side when I got it, and looked as if some of the lower unit fluid had leaked out around the water pump area. I got it upright and there was no fluid in the lower unit. The plug did have a very small amouth of metal on it. I removed the lower unit and it looks to have been leaking some oil around it. The drive shaft turns smoothly after I filled the lower unit, but makes a little more noise than I think it should. I am afraid that water had gotten into the lower unit, and it could be permently damaged. I would pull it all apart, but don't have the proper tools to do this job. What are my options?

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1989 70 hp Mercury Lower Unit

Fuzz on the magnet is typical, pressure test it if it leaks, tear it down and reseal if it don't leak run it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 70 hp Mercury Lower Unit

JD, All the seals except the propshaft seals may be changed easily, w/o special tools. if the propshaft seal is good and the gears and bearings are also, change the waterpump base (it has the driveshaft dseal installed), gaskets and orings. That will usually reseal the LU.