200 GT wont run in water

-1boat

Seaman Apprentice
I have a new to me 1989 200 GT that will start and run fine on the muffs, but when I put it in the water it starts and dies .

I started the engine before heading out today and thought everything was fine. Got to the ramp and the engine would die after running only a few seconds. I thought that is weird. So I trimmed the engine up so that the prop / exhaust is out of the water but the water intake is still in, and it started and idled just fine. Tilted the engine down in the water and a few seconds later it dies.

I'm really confused. What do the great minds here at iboats think? Did I get screwed on this engine or what? Anybody had a problem like that before?

I'm hoping that something needs adjusted or something simple, but I'm afraid it won't be that easy.

Thanks for reading this, and if you have any suggestions, let me have them please.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 200 GT wont run in water

Never let the way a motor runs on muffs in the driveway fool you into believing that they will run the same on water under load.

Pull the plugs and check for compression and spark and let us know what you find.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

your idle needs to be set high on muffs, then fine tuned in the water. should be 600-750 in the water, IN GEAR. if compression and spark are good, clean carbs, set idle speed stop screw.

walleyehed

Admiral

What RPM does this engine idle at on the muffs???
My first guess is a link-n-sync would fix most of your problem....and get a manual if you don't have one. That's the only way you can do it right.

-1boat

Seaman Apprentice

Compression seems good at 85-90 on all 6 cyl. Spark is strong also.

Idle on the muffs is about 1000. Is that too low?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

1000 - 1100 RPM on the muffs is about right, that will equal the 650 to 750 under load in gear as Tash stated.

I would start by cleaning the carbs then linc n syncing as stated.

Check www.ebay.com or www.outboardbooks.com for a factory reprint manual. It will be your best friend, especially for the linc n sync. It is too detailed to go over on here.

-1boat

Seaman Apprentice

Update:

I found water in the VRO tank. I am in the process of cleaning out the tank, lines, carb bowls, and installing a water separating filter on the fuel line.
I don't know if that would cause the problem I'm having or not but it isn't good.

I also have found a problem with my tach. It's not working consistently. I have checked the rectifier, and believe it to be bad as well.

Question is, if the rectifier is bad, can the tach still work sometimes? Or, will it not work at all? Seems like it will work while at idle, but just as soon as you begin to move the throttle linkage, it will fall to zero.

Thanks for the help.

-1boat

Seaman Apprentice

Replaced rectifier with a used one. Tach works now. :D

Flushed out all fuel and oil lines and got my water separating filter installed. :D

Checked timing and found it to be WAYY off :( Turns out that the flywheel was not indexed properly to the crank. Long story short, got that all taken care of, and timing set. So far so good.

Took her to the boat ramp today just before heading to work. It seems that all the frustration is paying off. The engine started right up and idled with lower unit in the water!

Didn't have time to do a proper check-out run up the river, so I left it on the trailer. Put it in forward and gave it a little throttle, it seemed pretty strong and tried to push the truck back up the ramp!! :p

Hopefully this weekend I'll have her out giving it a proper test run.