No water coming out of peep hole

bigwheeler

Cadet
I just bought a 1996 115 mercury offshore eddition motor. When i got it home i hooked up the water to it to check it out and it started and ran great exept there was very little water coming out of the peep hole. I decided to replace the water pump and after i did there is still very little to no water coming out. I put my finger up to the hole and there is air pressure coming out but very little water (at least not as much as there should be). The only thing i can think of is that mabye i but the impeller in backwards but if i did i wouldnt think that i would get air pressure out.

bigwheeler

Cadet
Re: No water coming out of peep hole

Also, could it just be that i havent waited long enough for the themostat to open up. Does this motor even have a thermostat?!?!

yorkserv

Seaman

Try changing the poppet valve i had a similar problem but it was the poppet valve if i am not mistaking I also saw that there was a little whole in the casting of the top of the motor almost towards the bottom of the cowling and i was told that is an indicator for the valve being bad or you could have some debris in the line.

Also are your ear muffs warped if they are you could be getting air into the water intake not allowing pump to create enough head. if they are old muffs try new ones

jeast

Cadet

Mine had only a trickle and then i read a post about clean out the rubber drain hose, i ran weed wacker cord in it . cleaned it and it pee's great. good luck

yorkserv

Seaman

Mine had only a trickle and then i read a post about clean out the rubber drain hose, i ran weed wacker cord in it . cleaned it and it pee's great. good luck

That is an awesome Idea with the weed wacker cord.

bigwheeler

Cadet

Thanks for the help so far guys but I have already cleaned out the hose with similar cord and it was clear. I assume that there are no blockages because of the air pressure im getting out of it. The water muffs im using are brand new and as far as a tell-tale for the poppet leaking goes i dont know but there is no water coming out anywhere that would suggest that. I was wondering though about there not being enough head pressure created to constantlly keep the pump primed, could this be a possibillity.

yorkserv

Seaman

A pump works the same way no matter what application no prime no pressure. I would honestly suggest to brop gear case and check pump maybe even the key way. for some reason it does seem as there is a problem with the water supply and backtrack what you have done so far
I am going to make a couple of phone calls tomorrow to see what i can come up with

bigwheeler

Cadet

I did some backtracking and couldnt find any problems. The keyway is in and no other problems spotted. I appreciate the replies and would greatly appreciate any other comments you may have.

jeast

Cadet

Mine takes a few seconds to pee. are you giving it a moment?
also one time i thought i had the muffs on but they werent right over he holes for enough water could get thru, on top of that i found a kink in my water hose.
stuff happens.

trussmonkey

Seaman Apprentice

it may or may not be your water pump
I've had the same problem, mine turned out to be caused by low water pressure at my house and a cheep old hose, that looked fine outside, but was coming apart inside, the pump basically sucked it closed

Laotzu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same problem but I think I know what it is. I ran into an underwater bank of mud at low speed and plugged the water intake vents and pump assembly. I dropped the lower end and cleaned it out good and replaced the impellor. It worked ok for a while but eventually quit peeing. Although well cleaned out and flushed, I think there may be some small pebbles in the chamber that plugs the pee hole fitting from time to time.

bigwheeler

Cadet

Thanx for all the help guys. I finally got water coming out of the pee hole. I took my water hose and held it up tight to the pee hole and back flushed it and it worked fine after that. Work'n great now.