Finally bought a 15hp johnson

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well yeater day I whent to meet a guy a at a aomci meet in ct and he sold me axacly what I wanted. It's a 1956 15hp johnson. For 200$ I got the outboard,tank and manuals.:D I'm happy that I got what I want for a good price. It must have low hours because It has great compression.

DSC07548.jpg

DSC07549.jpg

DSC07550.jpg

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Finally bought a 15hp johnson

Wow Sahara,
I'm jealous! That is the best tank they made.....And the motor is super nice!
That's amazing that somebody can get that nice of a motor for a price like that, but that's what is fun about these old motors. I told ya' those aomci guys would fix you up right!:D
Glad you got a good one,
JBJ

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW...I wish I could come across deals like that..lol. I've often pondered on getting a few old ones to set up or put on a retored boat. JB...your not far from me...where in louisiana are you?? I'm about two hours from Bass Pro....greatest place on earth...short of the lake..lol.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lots of offeres if you put a wanted ad on the aomci site.:)

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was surprised to see that it once was electric start as it has the ring hear on the fly wheel and in the back the mounting for a starter.:)

jbjennings

Captain

Ranger,
I'm not far from you. I live just below the Ark. line about 35 miles North of Shreveport. (Rodessa, LA) Out in the country by Black Bayou. I wish there were more people interested in old OMC's in my area so maybe we could start a little aomci chapter. I really enjoy using my oldies. If you get one, try to get them from up North. Those folks take care of their stuff and the fishing season is shorter so they have fewer hours on 'em. I do know one guy from Nashville. He's infamous. YOu may know of him--likes to coonhunt with redbone hounds. :D
Later,
JBJ

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That's one of the best tanks made? Cool... I have several of them :)

tomh59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

WOW what a score:D It looks to be in fantstic condition. Congrats!

dombarb

Seaman Apprentice

Congradulations Sahara nice buy. I am a new owner of a 1956 15 hp evenrude and I see you have a parts catalogue. Would you be so kind to look up the part number for the connecting rod wrist pin bushing. Before I consider making two I would like to see if I can cross reference this part. thanks Dom

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

I have an evinrude 15 HP 1956,(15016) and the parts manual does not list the bushing as a seperate part. Only the rod is listed. Rick

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Sweet deal. Is the prop stock? I got the same year motor last year used and it had that kind of prop...thought the guy had put a smaller 10 hp on for some reason. Re-propped with the same three-blade that's on my 57 18 hp Johnson. Just curious. Maybe the 15's need the smaller prop to achieve top end rpm?

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sweet deal. Is the prop stock? I got the same year motor last year used and it had that kind of prop...thought the guy had put a smaller 10 hp on for some reason. Re-propped with the same three-blade that's on my 57 18 hp Johnson. Just curious. Maybe the 15's need the smaller prop to achieve top end rpm?

I think it's stock.:rolleyes:

wbeaton

Commander

15 hp uses the same prop as the 18 hp.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

RU sure WB? Like I said, my 56 15 hp Johnson came with the same looking prop that Sahara shows in his pix, but that prop has skinnier, thinner blades than the stock prop on my 57 18 hp. I repropped the 15 to match the 18, now I wonder if I'm right doing so? May not matter, just curious.

wbeaton

Commander

The prop shown is the weedless prop. It is different than the 1957, but the dimensions are about the same. If you put a 10 hp prop on your 15 hp it will increase the RPM and speed. I have a 1954 15 hp with a 10 hp weedless prop and it screams.

jbjennings

Captain

HMMMMMMM.....
the 10horse prop on the 15? Gotta try it! :D
JBJ

wbeaton

Commander

HMMMMMMM.....
the 10horse prop on the 15? Gotta try it! :D
JBJ

Thanks, JBJ, now I need a disclaimer! lol.

Using the lower pitch 10 hp prop may over-rev the engine if its installed on a light boat so be careful. Dropping to the lower pitch prop is normally only recommended for heavy boats and loads.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

;)So I have a 15hp prop? What is the max rpm on these?