Evinrude Starts wide open, and cannot shut off.. problems...

KING6

Cadet
The Story starts here, I bought this boat from a guy locally 2 yrs ago. Since I bought it, I had redone the inside with new carpet and paint. I changed the gear oil and cleaned the carb. I then tested the motor in a barrel of water before getting on a lake. I had a guy with some experience help me adjust the carb. I couldnt figure out a kill switch for it, so the method for shutting the motor off was by pulling the throttle all the way back.

The motor is a 25hp Evinrude, I Cannot locate a model number on it, only a serial: 25302 A E001060 . It seems like this motor is a mystery motor and finding information on it is impossible. I dont know what year it is, and worse I dont know anything about it.
It has electric start and counsel controls. Ive been running the motor on a 100:1 fuel/oil mix, 87oct as suggested by the previous owner. It has new plugs and good fuel.

The motor has alwase had these problems:

On the first start up, it doesnt matter what I do, (pump gas ball, clean plugs, ) It wont fire up. If I pull the choke open, it will fire up running wide open,Ill close the choke instantly but it doesnt stop, it feels and sounds like its going to blow up (it doesnt even run this high at full throttle). Pulling the throttle all the way back wont kill the motor. The only option is to pull the choke open and pray it kills, or throw it in gear and go like a bat outa hell. Most of the time I just toss it in gear, but recently that trashed the prop. I got another one, And Now it just scraps shear pins instantly. The last couple times on the lake Ive resorted to the electric trolling motor that dies out in a few hrs.

What Id like to do is find out how to get this thing starting correctly and running right. After the first start, if I still have a shear pin to put in, it starts and runs normally through out the day. But it doesnt run nearly as strong as it does on startup.

Id also like an alternative kill switch.. an actual key or push button switch to kill the ignition. But I dont know how id rig that up.

I considerd bringing it in, but everyone is booked till the summer. Id like to be using this before summer.

The boat:

Picture616.jpg

Picture625.jpg

Any Help is very appreciated.

I have the means to fix this, Ive redone this boat from the ground up, including new paint. I work in a shop for a living and have access to tools and equipment most people dream of. I just cant find any information on these.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Evinrude Starts wide open, and cannot shut off.. problems...

I'm thinking you need the carb cleaned. Also, it sounds like there may be some problem with your controls. Starting it like you described and letting it rev up like that is absolutely horrible for your motor. Slamming it in gear at high rpm is as bad on the lower unit as overreving is for the powerhead. I would ignore the 100:1 and run that motor with 50:1 fuel/oil ratio. Is your motor electric start? A kill switch is an easy rigup but I think I'd better let the experts tell you how. Wish I could tell you more, but someone more knowledgeable than I could review the procedures so that they are more easily understood. By the way, your boat and trailer looks really good---nice work.
Hope you get it fixed,
JBJ

Last edited:

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with JBJ on the above. Assuming you know what one is, can you locate the welch plug, take a picture, and post it here? It's a round plug, located on the block, that is slightly larger than the size of a quarter and with a bunch of numbers on it. It has ALL the information you need in identifying the outboard. Once posted, someone here will be able to accurately identify it for you. You've done a nice job on the boat BTW. Soon you'll be enjoying it more!....... :)

You can thank Tashasdaddy for this photo of a welch plug. It's located on the top of the engine and between the cylinder heads. Make sure the photo is legible if you post one OR you can simply type them to share the info. Either way is fine....... here ya go.......complements of Tashasdaddy.

MVC-859S-1.jpg

KING6

Cadet

Thanks!

I found that plug, couldnt take a pic as the batterys are dead in the camera. But I got the #:

25302A
E01060

The engine does have electric start, 4 wires come of the motor, all run up to the ignition switch. Although shutting off the ignition switch doesnt kill the motor.

The controls seem to function properly, Even if the throttle is pulled all the way back (normally kills the motor) it will start wide open. But I think the carb needs to be adjusted. The rich/lean knob is kinda broken off.

btw, the boat used to look like
Picture025.jpg

So far the boat has been one of the funnest things ive owned, landed alot of big fish and had alot of relaxing days out on the lake.:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OK, it is a 1973, good motor manuals here: http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=models.main&year=1973&ID=52016

from what you are describing, it sounds like the timing plate is stuck the the fast postion. remove the cowl. disconnect the throttle cable at the motor. now manually, move the throttle linkage, watch the plate under the flywheel, make sure it moving in sinc with the throttle linkage. also make sure there is not any slop in the linkage. this would be my 1 step.

also make sure the remote cable moves when the handle is moved. could be a bad cable, that is not retracting, the throttle.

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here's a manual on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1973-Evinrude-B...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

Also, you can visit the BRP website to look at exploded diagrams online and obtain part numbers, should you need them in the meantime....... :)

http://12.2.215.22/pub/default.asp?...Lang=EN&brands=SKIDOO,SEADOO,ATV,SPORTBOAT,EJ

Click the "go" button beside the "Evinrude" box to begin.

Or go here.........

http://www.crowleymarine.com/brp_parts/1669.cfm

Hope you didn't mind me using your photo TD...... :)

**** WELCOME TO IBOATS KING6!!!!! ****

tashasdaddy

Theoutdoorsman, no problem, you have a PM.

KING6

Cadet

Picture168.jpg

This is the wireing, white goes to starter relay, green goes to ground, brown and yellow go to coil packs.
Anyone know how I should wire this for a kill switch?

Picture175.jpg

Picture176.jpg

KING6

Cadet

no it doesnt have one of them

I orderd that manual off ebay.. They only take snail mail so that will take a while..
Hopefully that helps some

tashasdaddy

good, best thing you bought for your motor.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

King6, the way that motor is stopped is to short the 2 wires together that come from the 2 coils. That can be done with a push-button on the front of the motor (manual start), with an ignition switch, or with a lanyard switch. It can also be done with any simple switch that connects those 2 wires together, shorting one coil with the other.

As far as the high revs on startup, if TD's suggestion doesn't help, look at the choke linkage. Compare what you see with any info in the manual. It's possible there's a mis-adjusted link causing excessive carburetor opening. Normally, the choke opens the carb a bit, but not enough for excessive RPM.

KING6

Cadet

I got the manual and thats what it shows in the wireing diagram, I was a bit confused but you explained it in a way that makes sense. Thanks, The manual shows alot, much more then I had thought it would.

Thanks everyone for helping me get the right manual:)