Trying to remove rotor

bryantjb3

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 5.7 mercruiser engine serial # 0k022749. I want to replace the distributor cap and rotor. The manual says the rotor is put on with loctite and to pry it off. I have tried, but not wanting to break it or anything else I have not gotten it off yet. Does anything else come off with the rotor, or does anyone have a sugestion?

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF0001 (Medium).JPG
    Copy of DSCF0001 (Medium).JPG
    63 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Trying to remove rotor

Ayuh,....

It's Glued On,....

Crush it with big pliers or something,....

Then clean up the Shaft before you install the New 1.....
And,....
No,... I don't bother with Regluing it.....

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Yeah, just get a couple big screwdrivers under it first and go at it. Ya aint gonna wreck nothing but the rotor, and its being replaced anyway..

Coors

Captain

And y'all carp about OMC. Merc said glue it on; Omc didn't.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

NOBODY ever said to glue on an EST rotor. The Loctite was only recommended on the Mercruiser Thunderbolt distributors.

Coors

Captain

NOBODY ever said to glue on an EST rotor. The Loctite was only recommended on the Mercruiser Thunderbolt distributors.

The magic word, Merc said loctite.
Admit it, this is a gotcha; I need one after the OMC abuse. lol

PINESOL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

im with ya coors .... keep your head up ... :D you can take it .. all i read on here is omc abuse ..its ok .. loctite the rotor on .. huh .. they can keep the 470 too ...

Don S

And y'all carp about OMC. Merc said glue it on; Omc didn't.

Come on now, Merc used Loctite on Thunderbolt ignition rotors ....... OMC, went out of buisness.
Need I say more ?????? :D :p :D :p

Coors

Captain

Yeah, bad business decisions; but were they that bad? Mine seems easier to work on than other brands. Out of business is no good, but I always find parts local.
Need to ask those old, almost ready-to-retire mechs, where they come up with new omc upper units with warranty for 1400. with labor
and tell them that I want to buy all the tools when they shut the shop down.
then start new job as OMC mech costing big bucks. lol
Really, they just seem so much simpler.

Don S

Really, they just seem so much simpler

The ESA shift interrupt system is a zoo and a lot harder and more expensive to fix. The raw water pump is easier than Merc. Other than that they are about the same. OMC = (Other Mercruiser Company) or (Obsolete Marine Company) pick one.

PBKboater

Seaman

I have a solution, The tools that I work on have alot of componenets that are loctite on mostly bushing, drive cogs etc.. We use a heat gun and heat them up and expansion helps break them loose easier to pull off. You might give that a try if you want to keep the rotor integrity. Just my 2 cents!

Ok guys any snappy come backs???

Paul

Don S

We use a heat gun and heat them up and expansion helps break them loose easier to pull off

No snappy comebacks, but that is what Mercruiser recommends in the service manuals.
However, the original poster has a Delco EST distributor, and there isn't any locktite on it (Except rust). and yea, they are a PITA to get off sometimes. And from the looks of the insides of the distributor, the cap isn't removed very often and tended to, ....... unless something goes bad.

Coors

Captain

LOL, that new OMC esa ($70) that works with electronic is great. Since buying it (2 to 3 second delay once triggered) the over-ride switch is not needed.
I agree, but the parts seem to be around. I really agree that a walk-thru by an old mech is needed, as factory manuals are good, but you have to learn the tricks.

Don S

that new OMC esa ($70) that works with electronic is great. Since buying it (2 to 3 second delay once triggered) the over-ride switch is not needed.

Mercruiser ESA unit = no such thing, not needed. = savings of $70 :D

Trust me, you can't win. Do you pull your OMC powered boat with an Edsel? Just curious :p

Coors beloved tow vehicle.

1958-edsel-bermuda-1.jpg

JustJason

Vice Admiral

anybody run into the loctite on the screws for the distro cap that merc was shipping?? those were fun.

Don S

Only the blue.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

have any problems getting those screws out.... say after they've been in for 2 seasons? :)

Ok back on topic... after you chisel your rotor off, your going to need to clean up the shaft with some sandpaper. After you get it all cleaned up spread a dab of dielectric grease around the shaft (and i do mean just a dab)

TilliamWe

Banned

Ayuh,....

It's Glued On,....

Crush it with big pliers or something,....

Then clean up the Shaft before you install the New 1.....
And,....
No,... I don't bother with Regluing it.....

That's exactly what I did to mine on my Mercruiser and on my Chevy van.

bryantjb3

Seaman Apprentice

I got it off today. I pried until it snapped the top off and left the rest. I reall did not want to use a hammer and chisel so I thought this would be a good reason to buy a new tool. I didn't have a dremel so I went to lowes today and got one. Worked like a charm. Now all I have to do is clean the shaft and distributor base.