1962 Johnson no reverse!

Vonker

Recruit
I have a 1962 Johnson 75 horse Mod. # V4A 14L .Last year the cable on my trolling flap came loose and did'nt know it. Pulled up to dock put it in reverse and it wrapped around the prop.No more reverse.When in reverse the prop moves a little but thats it.Any suggestions would be appreciated .:)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1962 Johnson no reverse!

EDIT: Sorry, I looked at the wrong model #. Deleting my reply

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That doesn't sound too good. There might be damage in the LU. The only way to find out is to open up the LU and take a look. Forward still works fine?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'm trying to figure out whether that year had Electromatic Shift? If it does, you may have broken the reverse clutch spring in the lower unit. Or on the other hand you may have a completely unrelated problem--a bad shift switch in the remote control. Always check out the switch and wiring before tearing into the lower unit.

Vonker

Recruit

Yes it has electramatic shift. I'll check the switch and wiring to start with.

Vonker

Recruit

I checked the switch and wires and it's all fine.If it's a clutch spring where can I get one that may be cheaper than crowley marine.0310818 CLUTCH SPRING, Forward and reverse 2 $329.23 .Thanks in advance for your guys help. Bill :)