I'm confused...is Mercruiser same as Chevy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrydeguzman

Recruit
I just purchased a new fixer-upper 21' boat, powered by a Chevy 305. But I can't find any kind of repair manual for this engine! However, I saw another post in this forum that made reference to a "Mercruiser Chevy 305."

Are the Mercruiser and the Chevy the same things?

Thanks for any advice you could offer on this. I'm very new and inexperienced when it comes to boat repair, and am looking forward to embarking on this exciting new project of mine.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Re: I'm confused...is Mercruiser same as Chevy?

Mercruiser sells the Chevy engines with all the Marinized Mercruiser parts on them. What year is it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mercruiser, Volvo, and OMC when the existed, used Chevy engines, and some fords. They just "Marinized" them.
Chevy (GM) manufactures the long blocks to marine specs, then the marinizer adds the other parts. Carbs, ignition, manifolds, carbs, etc.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

BTW > Welcome to Iboats this is a great forum you'll get most of your questions and needs met here. The chevy engines that are marinized have a marine cam, brass freeze plugs and safty electical components eg. starter,alt ignition and fuel system fuel pump. "ALWAYS" use these marine components not auto parts! Fumes can lay low in the boat and cause injury or death from explosion. ;)

ziggy

Admiral

mercruisers are identified by serial number. you need to find yours. genericly above the starter somewhere. same with the drive. id'd by serial number. maybe on the mercriser sticker on the drive..... what year? maybe someone can lead ya to roughly where the numbers are at..... once ya id it. ya can get the proper oem sevice manual for it and be hip to the facts for yer rig.....

jerrydeguzman

Recruit

Wow! Awesome quick responses! I've learned a ton by just hanging out in this forum for the past 20 minutes.

I don't take physical delivery of the boat for a few more days (gotta clear up my driveway and garage first). But when I do, I'll take a closer look at the numbers on the engine and sterndrive (Volvo Penta). I believe, though, that the engine's nomenclature begins with an "AQ" followed by four or five numbers.

In the meantime, I guess it's safe to order an Overton's repair manual for GM V-8 inboards.

Thanks again!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In the meantime, I guess it's safe to order an Overton's repair manual for GM V-8 inboards.

If it says Clymers or Seloc on the cover. Don't waste your money. Get the proper OEM manual only. Or end up buying 2.

In the title, you ask if Mercruiser is the same as Chevy, now you are asking about a Volvo Penta.
Same thing goes, they use Chevy engines, just need to know the AQ number.

ziggy

Admiral

GM V-8 inboards.
not if it's a vp i/o. wait till ya find out the numbers. do like dons said too. oem manual only. who knows, ya might even be able to get it online.... if yer lucky.....

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Hmm? AQ engine = volo and VP drive have to wonder were he came up with merc? lol

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Hmm? AQ engine = volo and VP drive have to wonder were he came up with merc? lol

Salesman

"these mercruisers are the most common drives on the planet, real easy to get fixed, but they rarely break anyway....."

"Volvo Penta?? Oh sombody probably just put that sticker on there to be funny.....Lets go inside so we can get you out on the water this weekend...."

The dudeis old

Recruit
I have a 78 sea ray came with a duel port outdrive .. one is blocked off and it had a blown out 140 in it .. can i put a v8 in it and what would fit ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.