What is the seal "Trick?"

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer
All,
Yesterday, I was attempting to remove and replace the upper shaft seal in a vintage Evinrude lower unit and thought this would be a great post. A simple task for many, but to me, is usually a pain in the neck:

I usually start by taking a hammer and chisel (some of you are cringing, or have been there) an try to collapse the brass side of the seal in hopes of getting a torn off piece, so I can get my vise grips on and pull with the unit between my shoes. I am fearful using this method in hopes not to ding, bang up, or scuff the edges where the seal sits. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I know of no better way given the limited tools I have!

I have taken a small engine marine repair course in high school and I have some basic engine service and know-how skills, but I don't recall there being a tool for that. I am embarrassed by this method cause I realize there has to be an easier, or correct way!!

Special tool? Puller? How do you remove it?

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What is the seal "Trick?"

What year make and model are you working on? Is the seal for the drive shaft in the lower unit below the water pump? There's a special slide hammer tool for this that hooks under the rim of the seal and a weight that you bang against the top of the tool to hammer the seal out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Frustrated, believe it or not I have removed many a seal in a way similar to what you describe. Use a cape chisel instead of a regular one to make it easier. Once you fold the edges in, you can almost just lift it out. FWIW, a cape chisel is round on the backside and flat on the bevel side and just a hint of bevel on the round side....sort of like a D when looked at the end. Hard as heck to find anybody that even knows what it is, much less buy one. I've made reasonable substitutes from pin punches by grinding one side off.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wish I could upload the one hour video of me getting my seal out...without the proper tool.

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer

The seal is the one that is behind the water pump. Many various motors that I change seals I use the same procedure using the chisel method.

Funny you say that you use a similar method. I thought I was the only one. Can't visualize a 'cape' chisel, although I know the procedure your talking about. It's all on how you collape the seal.

As far as the slide tool, sounds like the same concept as a dent puller like with auto body tools. The visual sounds great and I think it would work better than my method. If you can find a link that has a picture of one, I'd love to see it.

~FB~

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer

We should start a "TOP TEN HABBITS ON NOT WHAT TO DO" videos with outboard repairs like:

Changing hoses when its 20 degrees out!

Fightin' with the undersized screw driver cause your too lazy to get the right one!

Pulling on the stubborn gasket rather than getting a scraper and easing it off.

Working on the motor in good clothes cause you think you'll work clean!

etc., etc.,

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The seal is the one that is behind the water pump. Many various motors that I change seals I use the same procedure using the chisel method.

Funny you say that you use a similar method. I thought I was the only one. Can't visualize a 'cape' chisel, although I know the procedure your talking about. It's all on how you collape the seal.

As far as the slide tool, sounds like the same concept as a dent puller like with auto body tools. The visual sounds great and I think it would work better than my method. If you can find a link that has a picture of one, I'd love to see it.

~FB~

Here is a picture of a cape chisel. From the mushroomed head you can tell I've used it a time or 100.

Slide hammer bushing puller is like a dent puller but with a pair of expanding jaws on the end

Attachments

• Cape Chisel.jpg
    Cape Chisel.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I have a stone axe, and tiger tooth chisel, can't post a photo as it is loaned out. Use the correct tool, it will save time, money, frustration, most times', lots' of money.

jbjennings

Captain

I went to harbor freight and bought the slide hammer and seal removal tool. It of course wasn't the real OMC tool and guess what, it didn't work. It was the hook like tool and when using the puller and slide hammer the seal would just bend or break and the puller would slip. I had to fool with 'em same as you with a chisel and such, but was too embarrassed to 'fess up and not as brave as you were to say so.
Interesting post....especially that cape chisel.:)
JBJ

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

you're talkin bout 2 back-to-back seals in a carrier, right? odds are you have a socket in your tool box just the right size to knock 'em out of there.

jethro66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is this a good tool? goggle princess auto,download specialty tools and its page 248 , item a or c

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I guess you noticed they have B and C mixed up. Anyhoo. what they show might work once in awhile on something. Not an earth shattering invention. But a guy can never have too many tools.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The 2-piece seal pullers are on sale next week for $9.99. If you're not completely satisfied you can take it back. Princess Auto is really good that way.
The other seal puller looks like it uses leverage to pull the seal. The problem with that on boat motors is the aluminum case around the seal can be damaged. I pulled a chunk of the engine block out of a parts motor that I have. Likely broken by someone trying to replace the top crank case seal.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I just love to invest in the right tools.they have saved me hundreds of dollars and on top of that,they have made me a highly appreciated friend.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

First one that I needed to get out, I took to a dealer. He put the lower unit in a vise and used a pry bar and popped it a couple of times. Out it came. Took him all of 5 seconds. That's the way I've done it. I know there's a risk and I can't recommend it.

67Johnson6HP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are more lucky than I, you won't break the housing like I did removing that !&@# seal! Good Luck.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

67johnson6HP: Just out of curiosity, what did it end up costing you?

wbeaton

Commander

If you are more lucky than I, you won't break the housing like I did removing that !&@# seal! Good Luck.

That's an expensive part too. I feel for you. I had to replace one once. I found two NOS reasonably priced and bought them both.

I have tried chiselling them out too. I mostly use the exact same puller as "A" from Princess Auto. You have to be careful, but it does work well. Just don't take too big off a bite and keep moving the puller around the seal as you pull.

67Johnson6HP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The best price I could find was $105.00. Instead, I used the one off a later model Rude that I had replaced with another l/u. Works great.

wbeaton

Commander

The best price I could find was $105.00. Instead, I used the one off a later model Rude that I had replaced with another l/u. Works great.

Yup, same part from 1954-79. I found a guy who had two NOS. I bought them plus a bunch of other stuff including two sets of tiller handle gears for under $100 shipped.