Would like motor size/model recommendations for 17ft Boston Whaler.

Matt76

Recruit
Hi,
I got a free 17ft 1972 Boston Whaler from my father in law. It has a 1972 50hp Evinrude on it. I used it last summer and the motor is not big enough for this boat. During my last two times on the water the motor would choke out at full throttle.
I would like to get new motor (used). I?ve been looking at 115 hp mercury and Johnson/Evinrude outboards from the mid-seventies to mid-eighties. I know the capacity plate says the warranty is void if 100hp is exceeded. I?m not concerned about that. Is there anything else I should be concerned about?
I?m hoping to do some water-skiing, etc with this boat.
Can anyone recommend a motor for me?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Would like motor size/model recommendations for 17ft Boston Whaler.

If you are not concerned about overpowering, you should be since you are going to be towing water skiers and probably other water toys. Have an accident where someone gets hurt and you will learn quickly about the risks in overpowering. As for recommendations, no less than 75% of the recommended maximum HP for any boat except for pontoons and sail boats in which much smaller motors can work just fine.

Matt76

Recruit

Thanks for the advice. It looks like I may have to keep my options limited to 100 HP or less.

Here are some pics of the boat. Maybe someone has the same one.

Matt

Attachments

• DSC04242.jpg
    DSC04242.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC04253.jpg
    DSC04253.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 3

K-MAC

Cadet

That's a real nice whaler you got there , I had a 74 just about the same design except with alot of teak .We changed out to a 85hp merc what a big change , the old 65 was tired and was putting out alot less Hp . 100 OB on an older boat your just asking for more problems , transom ,and watch what steering setup you use the extra torque may come into play.We had no problem pulling someone out of the hole with Three people on the boat.If you do change out the prop. That's one h-ll of a boat for free , Good Luck

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I once had the same boat. What you have is the famous 17' Whaler Montauk. This classic actually has entire websites devoted to this hull. It was advertised as "unsinkable," and many boat companies have tried to copy this design. You have obtained a true classic.

Now, about the power. This hull does very well with the V-4's from Johnny/Rude (if you are going with a used motor) I had a 88SPL Johnson which pushed the boat well into the 40's with no effort. A 90 HP motor would be GREAT for this boat.

There is another moderator (JB) on this site who is a Whaler nut too. I think he is a real fan of the Suzuki Mid range motors, and I am sure he will comment on this as well.

Please stay away from over powering the boat. This boat kind of sits low in the water anyway, and too much weight just would not advisable. A 100 HP or less motor would be just about perfect. In fact, I used to take my little Whaler 20 miles off shore on a good day, and buzz out there and back on very little fuel.

Good luck and have fun!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well yes. I have had three 16/17 Boston Whalers. A 1966 Sakonnet 16, a 1981 Montauk 17 and a 1999 Montauk 17.

Classic Boston Whalers are very strong, very light boats and will perform well with 60-70% of rated power. They are typically rated for more HP than other boats of similar weight. In the early 70s the most common power for the 16/17s was the Fisher Pierce Bearcat 55 4 stroke, previously made by Homelite.

I have used a 1966 Johnson 100 V4, A 1981 Evinrude 100 V4, a 1980 Johnson 70 triple looper, a 1999 Mercury 90 and a 2001 Suzuki DF70 on them.

The Merc 90 was a badly designed engine. It was rough at idle and couldn't outrun the Suzi. It topped at about 40mph.

The Johnson 70 was the best balanced and best handling engine. It topped at around 39mph. It took my 1966 Sakonnet to Bimini and back from Haulover Cut in Miami twice. That's about a 90 mile round trip through the Gulf Stream.

The Suzi was the best engine. User friendly, quiet at cruise (around 3500rpm), troll for hours without skipping a beat and use about 3/4 as much gas as the Johnny 70 and less than half as much as the Merc. It would do 39-40mph.

The V4s were gas hogs and could go faster by about 2-3mph.

Your boat is not a Montauk, Matt. The first Montauks were introduced in 1973. What you have is a Nauset with a customized console (removed windshield and painted the mahogany seat and console white). Montauks have a different outer hull (called a smirked hull and used from 1973 on), reversible pilot seat, a fiberglass console and a windscreen. There are other differences as well.

70 hp is near perfect for that boat. The 2 stroke JohnnyRude 70s are 100lb lighter than the Suzuki but the Suzi is smoother, quieter, more economical and more expensive. Either is only about 3-5mph slower than a V4 90, which uses a LOT more gas.

Were I powering a Boston Whaler 16/17 today with a used engine it would depend on whether I found a Suzi DF70 or JohnnyRude triple looper 70 first. I would not put a V4 on it unless I owned a refinery.

D

DJ

I have a 15' with a 1975-50 HP. It's just adequate.

My father has a Montauk with a 70. As JB said, it's just about the perfect HP for that hull. Any more and you just add weight and use more fuel.

That hull will only go so fast. I also have heard that they will set up a wicked "chine walk" if overpowered.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

not that I am biased, but I have mounted the 3cyl 90 yamaha on several of those hulls. you wont be disapointed with a new 90 2 stroke yamaha on that hull.

JB

Can't disagree with rodbolt on the Yamaha 90. It is light for a 90 and would probably get a few more mph than a 70.

Nevertheless, my recommendation, based on many years of experience with the 16/17 Whalers, is a JohnnyRude triple looper 70 or, if engine weight is not a concern, a Suzi (or Johnson) DF70 4 stroke.

Matt76

Recruit

Thanks for all the advice. I?ve been looking around for a Johnny/rude 70-90hp. I noticed some come with controls and some do not. I?m thinking I might need to buy some kind of special control box that can mount on the right side of the console (left side of the control box), or some kind of top-mount controls. The control box that is currently on the boat is mounted on the right side of the console. I?m thinking this box was designed to allow it to be mounted from either side. From looking at the newer control boxes it looks like they can only be mounted on the right side.
I have attached a picture of the console. Is there any way I can mount a newer Johnnyrude control box (1975-1985 or so) to this console? I want it to work well and look good. I?m willing to modify the console. Or is by best bet to buy a top-mounting box?

Thanks !

Attachments

• DSC04244.jpg
    DSC04244.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1

tashasdaddy

Matt, really the controls should come with the motor. but some people repower, with a motor that uses the same controls, and are not will to part with them, as they do not want to spend the money for the controls. can be several hundred $ additional. if you sell your existing motor those work controls will add great value to the hydro electric shift motor. they are extremely hard to get.

here are pic of my 1988 controls on a center console. they handle is reversible.

MVC-851S.jpg

MVC-850S-1.jpg

JB

On that homemade console I would only use binnacle (top mount) controls, Matt. Side mounts on a console that wide would definitely get in the way.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I would go for the three cylinder OMC or Yammy. I am more of an OMC fan but have to admit that the Yammy 90hp triple is intriguing. I have heard nice things about the later models and like the idea of more power without extra weight and excess fuel consumption.