Outboard painting-what do you use?

niner

Cadet
I have used Dupont Imron to paint my outboards and am getting ready to do the one I have now. I have no problems with the Imron in fact it holds up well.
The only down side is it chips easy and is a little on the expensive side. Anybody use anything else other than spray cans?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outboard painting-what do you use?

Believe it or not, RustOleum is great. Slow drying, but stands up well to the water.

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sand, self etching primer, Duplicolor rattle can the lower. Like to have a good base-clearcoat on the hood. Plus a new set of decals.

Picture002.jpg
[/IMG]

bigbenrusky

Seaman Apprentice

Sand, self etching primer, Duplicolor rattle can the lower. Like to have a good base-clearcoat on the hood. Plus a new set of decals.

Picture002.jpg
[/IMG]

how did you do this?? i need to repaint my outdrive but i am scared to i don't want to botch the job. don't want to take apart so i can sand blast it to get it back down to the metal.

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a before picture:

Rudes006.jpg
[/IMG]

I used a good hot enamel reducer and a scotch brite pad on the lower, took it right down to bare metal. Prime it, hit it with a 600 wet-dry paper, not too hard, and paint. I like a coat of clear to seal it. Had my body man do the hood. Less than a 100 bucks for paint,$40 for the decals.

artherm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have repainted several OMC Hoods, and one complete engine. Prepartation is everything. A paint shop buddy has put me on using Mineral Spirits as the final prep. This is much cheaper than the Auto Paint guys prep solv stuff and works just as good. I have used the OMC Bombardiare paints, matching factory color with much success. This is good paint. My dealer charges about $6.00 a can.