Sea Ray Transom, Stringers and Storage

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sea Ray Transom, Stringers and Storage

One more REAL quick question, I want to make sure that my outdrive hole and EXPECIALLY the bilge drain hole are sealed up completely! Right now, all I have done is take two coats of epoxy with my finger and glob it on any open wood that I can find. However this is a very crude way of doing it, I know, and want to know if there is a better way? Thanks!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

One more REAL quick question, I want to make sure that my outdrive hole and EXPECIALLY the bilge drain hole are sealed up completely! Right now, all I have done is take two coats of epoxy with my finger and glob it on any open wood that I can find. However this is a very crude way of doing it, I know, and want to know if there is a better way? Thanks!

paint brush.....:D :D :D

yer doin fine bud

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a quick update and one more question.
Well I am making my way, BOTH stringers are glassed to the hull, two layers of 17oz. cloth (Epoxy Resin) overlapping each other. The Starboard stringer is wrapped over the top with 9 oz cloth all the way down the sides to the 17 oz and overlapping it. Oops, what I did to get it over the top was to grind a small bevel over the top. Now granted, I have an inch and a half of stringer to go across the top, but this worked out GREAT for me! I didnt have one major bubble over the top of the stringer. This may or may not work for others. Just my .02 Cents! Anyways, now, is time for the center section of the boat. I used PL adhesive, kind of iffy on that stuff, but I put it down on the motor mount bottom, and WOW, I could not pry it back up with a prybar. Gotta hand it to you guys, that stuff is CRAZY! I also after the PL dried, put some Epoxy and cabosil in the void, made my fillet and glassed to the stringers and hull with two layers of 17 oz and then covered the top with one layer of 17 oz and one layer of 9 oz. That thing isnt going ANYWHERE!! Now time for the fuel compartment bulkheads and the fuel compartment floor. I am just going to glass that in with the 9 oz. It isnt structural, so I dont see why I will need the heavy stuff.
Now, for the question. As you can see in the pics, I have two main stringers running length from front to back. When Sea Ray originally built the boat, they put two others on the outside. And then up under the two front back to back seats they glassed in two large triangle blocks to the stringers and that is what supported the seats. Should I just run two supports running out at a 90 degree angle from the stringers on each side to support the deck, or should I put this other stringer in on each side. I know it was not anything for supporting the hull as it was not glassed to the hull AT ALL! wasnt even glued to the hull. I seriously dount they even sealed it to be honest with you! What should I do. It you look at the srtinger picture of the port side you can see the outer stringer/support laying there. Any help here!??!<

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are the pics. Dont know why they didnt post the last time.

Attachments

• Picture 011 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 011 (Medium).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 010 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 010 (Medium).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 009 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 009 (Medium).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 008 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 008 (Medium).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 005 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 005 (Medium).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any love on the extra stringer question? Also, I just looked at foam, WOW that stuff is expensive. Anyone know how much foam jcersa used in his rebuild? That is prolly about how much I would need. Thanks!

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright, well, I went ahead and just put back in the old outer stringers and right now the PL adhesive is curing and should be able to glass those in tomorrow. MAYBE!!! I went ahead and made them a little taller so they could go a little closer to the main stringers so I wont have to make ribs that go perpendicular to the stringers. Hey, next question, and I am hoping this one gets answered, I put my gas tank back in today, and MAN was it EVER close, I had to stomp on it to get it down, Stingers went in a little crooked, I was able to get the rubber strips that came out of it back into it, but my question is, is this okay, such a tight fit, I think that I wouldnt even need to strap it back down it is in there so well, any suggestions?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

What's the tank made of? Plastic tanks need more room than metal.

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

What would be the reason to put wood down in the bottom of the ski locker istead of just putting some rubber padding down on the hull? This was trhe area of worst rot and would like to avoid it again if at all possible?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

was the wood that you are talking about a sub floor for the ski locker?

im not framilliar with the ray locker. (mine didnt have one) but as long as there is a bulkhead of some sort to keep the skis from sliding around....i dont see why rubber wouldnt work if it is glued down...... other than that, it could trap moisture and create mold under the rubber.

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

yup, oops the wood that I was talking about was the subfloor for the ski locker. Yeah, I think I am just going to use rubber glued to the hull for the bottom of the ski locker. That way there will be no wood down there to rot out! Yeah!

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, so I have gotten quite a way further than the last time that I posted. Got the tank back in and all hooked up, foam poured in both sides and the deck back on the top of the stringers, using the PL Adhesive and some stainless screws. So yeah, I am rockin it out!!!! Anyways, I have a question about tabbing the deck to the hull and to the stingers. I have 17oz cloth and epoxy resin, would I be okay with one layer of tabs from the deck to the hull, and deck to the stringers? I do not have a ton of this stuff left, actually, I only have enough to finish the other side!!! Please tell me I will be okay!!!! Thanks!

erikgreen

Captain

17 oz cloth will probably be ok for that... when you say tab, are you doing short tabs or taping the whole seam? You really need to tape the whole thing, the deck is a major part of the boat's structure.

For mine I actually used two layers of 1708 biax (overkill).

Looks like you're doing some good work :)

Erik

mtnrat

Chief Petty Officer

For the bottom of your ski locker just paint the hull with a plastic paint. Easy to clean and hard as a bullet. Anything glued to it will just be a pain in the @$$

oops!

Supreme Mariner

17 oz cloth will probably be ok for that... when you say tab, are you doing short tabs or taping the whole seam? You really need to tape the whole thing, the deck is a major part of the boat's structure.
Erik

ditto........that joint means a lot
for any boat.....

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

HELP ME!!!!! I am just about to say screw this whole thing, and put her in the junk yard. I have had SOOOO many set back on this dang thing it isnt even funny!!! Real quick update, I have the deck in just have to PB up the seams and glass over the whole thing, went to put in the motor, noticed my gimball bearing was shot and that I had an original shift cable for the outdrive, so I went ahead and updated that, after the shift cable I noticed that the upper shift shaft had busted in half, and some numb nuts had put a dang brass sleeve filled with some sort of solder and tried to literally GLUE the upper shift shaft back together. NO WONDER I had shifting problems!!!!! So I replaced the upper and lower shift shaft. As well as there was an updated shift shaft seal that was not installed in my outdrive, so I went ahead and replaced that!!!! NOW, I was ready to put in the motor, or so I thought!!!! I have updated my 1982 2.5L motor to a 1986 3.0L motor, so I had to get a bigger exhaust riser and drill two holes in my manifold to be able to accept the pre alpha style exhaust riser. NO PROBLEM, get that right done and she is ready to go in........NOPE!!!! I have to get a new exhaust boot!!!! WOW!!! This is INCREDIBLE!!!! Whats that ole saying???? Nuttin but a whole in the water to throw money into, thats ALL that boats are!!!! Why do we DO this to ourselves. Well tonight, my exhaust boot came in, and I was SOOOO excited, she was finally ready to come back to life, to get her heart back in, YEAH!!!!! Then murphy came and blessed me with his presence!!!!! PLEASE see attached pic!!!!!! WHY!!!??!?!??!??!??!? I put that dang thing RIGHT where I had marked it from being before!!!!! Well, it is too late, I have WAY too much of my blood sweat tears and my wallet in this thing to give up now, but are your suggestions? I can just go ahead and attach (peanut butter)some wood on top of the existing motor mount and just glass it to the existing mount, but I am worried about the stress, should I just make a small addition off the back of the mount and glass it in?
Option A Option B

Existing Mount Extra Wood Existing Mount Extra Wood
V
V _________ V V

================= =============___________

I know this is pretty course but I hope you get the idea!!!

Also, I am in need of an extra mount point for my top, attached is a pic of it, anyone have any idea where I can get one?
Thanks!
Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_0116 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0116 (Medium).JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0118 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0118 (Medium).JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 0

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

Option A
Existing mount New Wood
V V

Existing Mount New Wood
V V
===========___________

pigrge

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why is this NOT WORKING!!!! ARGH!!!! Maybe you can see it though!!!!
Except for the first one, the single line is supposed to be half over the two lines and half hanging off the back.

erikgreen

Captain

I kinda know what you mean... the easiest way to post a diagram here is to draw a quick and dirty MS paint picture, and post that.

For a rotted motor mount or one that needs an extension, I'd replace the rotted part with a serious overlap of wood and glass. Or, as an alternative, build a metal mount using angle iron.

The motor mount has to withstand a lot of force.

On your general issues, I think you've discovered the major problem with most used boats... it's not just that they're old, it's that the previous owners either didn't do maintenance, fixed things the "handyman's way" or both.

My first boat was repaired with everything from sections of garden hose to automotive parts to silicone caulk. I ended up junking it because there was NOTHING good on it except the motor (the hull was worn, even) and I would have ended up replacing everything stem to stern to get a decent boat. I wasn't that attached to it.

And that was already after I spent maybe $1000 trying to fix it.

Erik