GPS to Distress Switch

larryo

Seaman Apprentice
Suggestions appreciated on making a connection from from a Garmin 126 GPS to a ICOM IC-M402 VHF's DSC/IC's switch . I believe I have the wires
available from my GPS that should connect to 2 female jacks off the ICOM .
What ' s needed in between is what I'm looking for . Appeciate it , Larry .

eastern27

Seaman
Re: GPS to Distress Switch

You should't need anything else. The gps should have NMEA 0183 wires to output position info to the radio. The radio has a jack and cable to connect to the 0183 output. You may have to setup the GPS to output the NMEA data. Follow the wire color codes in the owners manuals.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I agree. Connect the ground wires then connect the GPS output data to the radio's input data. Most GPS units will have several output formats.
So check the format the radio wants, it could also accept more than one format. Just make sure you select the same format for both and it should work. Of course you also have to have a registration number you can get for free.

I'm not sure whether your chartplotter and radio support it or not, but if you can hook up the radio data out to the GPS/Chartplotter data in, your chartplotter may display locations of distress calls from other boaters.

The most important connection is, of course, the GPS/Chartplot data out to the radio data in connection. (so your radio has your location if you need to push the red button)

Does anyone know if a radio HAS to be on channel 70 to RECEIVE other boaters distress calls?
If so, how do you monitor 70 and 16 together without missing something on 70?
Mine is a Uniden Oceanus DSC radio.

On the Garmin 126, the Blue wire is NMEA out and the Brown Wire is NMEA in. The black wire is Ground. So the Blue wire sends data to the Marine radio, and the Brown wire listens for data from the marine radio.
I looked at the manual for that GPS (http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/82_OwnersManual.pdf) and it is getting pretty old (10 years). I don't think it will receive and plot DCS alerts. I believe it was built before DCS was conceived.

On the Icom radio, page 23 of the manual (http://www.icomcanada.com/pdf_manual/marine/ic-m402.pdf) shows which connector is the NMEA IN connector. It has an RCA style connector (the same style that a stereo or video connection on your TV has). The tip of this connector goes to the Blue wire on the Garmin and the ring (outer conductor) goes to the black wire on the Garmin. You could probably use a stereo patch cable with one end cut off and stripped to make the connection.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm not sure whether your chartplotter and radio support it or not, but if you can hook up the radio data out to the GPS/Chartplotter data in, your chartplotter may display locations of distress calls from other boaters.
This function is not supported by the Garmin 126.

Does anyone know if a radio HAS to be on channel 70 to RECEIVE other boaters distress calls?
If so, how do you monitor 70 and 16 together without missing something on 70?

If it's a DSC radio it should automatically scan all the preset channels which includes CH 70, or at least that's how my Icom M504 works.

larryo

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input . Am sure I'll have more questions after studying the manuals . As much as I am willing to help other boaters in distress , right now my priority is putting my own SOS out . I gather that the 126 will communicate with the ICOM in spite of its age. All I have from the GPS are spliced wires I'm assuming are for DSC use . Can always break down and get a new GPS if needed but I really like this one . Larry

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

That combo will work just fine. You just will not have the abiltiy to identify someone via their MMSI number (AIS) on your GPS screen.

larryo

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks , need some technical advice on hooking up the loose GPS NMEA wires to the ICOM ' s adaptors . Appreciate it . GPS wire gauges look really fragile . Larry

larryo

Seaman Apprentice

On the Icom radio, page 23 of the manual (http://www.icomcanada.com/pdf_manual/marine/ic-m402.pdf) shows which connector is the NMEA IN connector. It has an RCA style connector (the same style that a stereo or video connection on your TV has). The tip of this connector goes to the Blue wire on the Garmin and the ring (outer conductor) goes to the black wire on the Garmin. You could probably use a stereo patch cable with one end cut off and stripped to make the connection.

Thanks to you both . I'm confused as to what the outer conductor is . All I see are 2 female jacks , one is NMEA in and the other is for an external speaker .
Appreciate it , Larry

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It has an RCA style connector (the same style that a stereo or video connection on your TV has). The tip of this connector goes to the Blue wire on the Garmin and the ring (outer conductor) goes to the black wire on the Garmin. You could probably use a stereo patch cable with one end cut off and stripped to make the connection.

My Icom came with a RCA with a short pigtail for connecting the GPS to the radio.

BTW: The outer conductor is ground.

larryo

Seaman Apprentice

My Icom came with a RCA with a short pigtail for connecting the GPS to the radio.

BTW: The outer conductor is ground.

Thanks. The RCA with a short pigtail I assume is the red female jack . Correct ? Thanks , Larry