engine starting problems

bradley047

Recruit
i have a 97 larson with the 4.3 v6 in it and im having problems starting it. i put a new starter on it since i thought it was that and still i have to jump it across the starter to start it. anyone have any ideas

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: engine starting problems

You need to put in a little more info. The boat is a larson, but what engine drive package are you working on. year and make and serial number are best.
From a search on the forum for 'starter click': Read this, courtesy of Don S.......
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035

bradley047

Recruit

the outdrive as a volvo penta and i think that its a volvo engine although the valve cover says vortec on it but when i get more information ill post it

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

guessing it might be the "slave solenoid"
but we need a bit more info

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You have a Chevrolet 4.3 V6. Same engine used in a gazzilion boats from different manufacturers.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

He has a Volvo outdrive, so I have to assume he has a Volvo engine in it to. Sure, it's a 4.3L Chevy engine, but the wiring harness and the starting methods are different between Merc and volvo. Volvo doesn't use a Solenoid, they uses a relay instead.
Either way, if he goes to the link Searay 3 posted, it explains how to test both.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Defective solenoid, ignition switch or corroded connections......
With the key in the "start" position there should be 12v at the yellow red wire terminal on the solenoid.....;)

Don S

With the key in the "start" position there should be 12v at the yellow red wire terminal on the solenoid.....

There are two, which one are you talking about?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

just a guess.... is it both? both the start and Ign terminal?
i'm not a volvo guy but do they do a similar thing and supplement the voltage to the coil for starting, due the the voltage drop that the starter causes during cranking?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

hmm.... not a fan of test lights.... unless im testing a cigarette lighter... :)

Don S

You may not be a fan of them, but they sure work to quickly check a starting system. Especially for guys that don't know how to use a meter.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

There are two, which one are you talking about?
"S" but with the key in the 'start' position, it should be 12v at both.......
If it is only at one side, the solenoid is bad, if at neither, the ign switch, neutral safety switch or the wire is bad....
But you knew that.......;)

JustJason

Vice Admiral

the reason i say not a fan of test lights is because a test light will light up on 8 volts....
it won't tell you if you have a voltage drop issue due to bad cables, conections etc.....
if a test light lights up on the starter terminal but you get no spin... people may replace the starter... when it is alot of times a cable crimp.
I use my test light to test fuses :)
I own 2 meters.... and 1 test light.

alot of tech schools teach test light first and meter second.... it SHOULD be the other way around.
I'm not saying not to use a test light... im just not advocating it.
If you don't know how to use a meter you have no business charging people for using a test light...
But you knew that :)
Cheers

bradley047

Recruit

is there a way without buying a new ignition that i can use jumpers to see if thats the problem or do i just need to get a new one because i replaced the starter and it didnt fix the problem

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Simple answer: Yes......
A 14 gauge wire with an alligator clip on each end will tell you if the starter will crank....;)

You mean the switch?......
The simple test done at the switch is:
12v at the 'I' terminal on the back of the switch with the key in the 'run' position.....
12v at the "i" & "s" terminals with the key in the "start" position.....;)

Coors

Captain

and the same where the wires terminate in the engine compartment.

bradley047

Recruit

it ended up being the relay that was bad...thanks for the help