J70ELCNB Carb Rebuild ?'s

Evinrude Trouble

Seaman Apprentice
I am in the process of rebuilding all 3 carbs and let me tell you they needed it. The high speed orifice was completely blocked with black stuff. The two idle orifices on the other hand look very clean. Shoild i replace all of the orifices or can i just re-install the old ones? The carb kit comes with these little aluminum concave disks what are they for and is it necessary to replace them? The high speed orifices were severely clogged and i was able to get one out but the other two are stuck. I am planning on replacing them for obvious reasons, any suggestions as to how to get them out? Sould i use an easy out? The orifice is brass and i kinda soft should i heat the carb body that its screwd into? The post or tube in the middle of the carb looks black is that normal. Should the small tube inside of this tube that runs to the throat be directly in the center of the larger tube? Is this somthing that needs to be cleaned? will any carb cleaned do or is there a special kind for marine applications? This is my first carb rebuild so any words of wisdom or trick would be greatly appreciated. I reall dont wanna mess this up, i have read the dirctions and it seems simple enough (famous last words)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: J70ELCNB Carb Rebuild ?'s

you have to use the correct tool to get them out, no heat, no easy out. if you can get them out, without damage, clean them and run a small wire thru them to make sure they are clean here's the tool #317002

Attachments

• carb tool.JPG
    carb tool.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0

Evinrude Trouble

Seaman Apprentice

The high speed jets on two of the carbs are stripped out because i didnt use a special tool, just a screw driver. If i use a screwdriver on the idle orifices and didnt mess them up does that mean i still need to replace them?

tashasdaddy

if they are not messed up they are fine. start a new thread on how to get screwed up high speed jets out. the jets are brass, and you don't want to mess up the threads, why is said no easy out.

make you a tool to reinsert them.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

No need to replace them if they aren't damaged. Hole size is critical, so take it easy when poking anything through them. Go to an auto parts store and get a can of dip-type carburetor cleaner. It works wonders geting that goo out. Don't use it on plastic or rubber.

Evinrude Trouble

Seaman Apprentice

If i have stripped out the slot on the front of the jet is it still a useable jet if i clean it out? Is the high speed jet a tiny orifice or a larger one because i cant see the other side of the jet when i shine a flshlight through it. Should i clean the whole carb with an old tooth brush? Is a rebuild as simple as cleaning the thing out with carb cleaner and replacing all the gaskets and o-rings? I have never done this before and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

tashasdaddy

soak it in carb cleaner, the clean anything left, you have the jets removed, blow out (compressed air) everything you can, clean the jets, if you messed up the slot you messed up the jet, replace, reassemble, set float.

Evinrude Trouble

Seaman Apprentice

how do you set the float? Theres an adjustment? Where? Never done this before. Do i need a special tool?

tashasdaddy

turn carb up side down float should be parallel with the carb body. use needle nose pliers to adjust the metal bracket.