Emergency Mode

dmarsh

Recruit
I have a 2001 50 hp 2cycle Johnson. Had a low oil indication last fall and solved it by adding oil. Next day after a long day's run during power up to full throttle the motor started shaking and rpms dropped. I could not power up beyond 2300 rpm. Took in to shop and they said it might be a stuck sensor that put motor in an "emergency mode". Said they fixed it. I tried it and it seemed to work last fall. Just took it out for the first time this year. Ran fine for an hour or two, then as I was about to head back, the problem resurfaced. I tried shutting the motor off each time. Let it sit and then restart and power back up. It runs fine for a bit then does it again. So I idled back and trailered the boat. Could it be the Stator or the Oiler giving me a problem? Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it?

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Emergency Mode

My 1988 60hp Johnson acted like that one time. It was on a really hot day last summer (108 degrees) in the middle of the day. It started running on 2 of the 3 cylinders. I shut it off, took the hood off, and checked for any loose wires or such. Tried to restart it and it ran right, put the hood back on and it started missing again a few minutes later. Then I took the hood back off and tried to idle back toward the dock, it started running right again with the hood off. Loaded it up and went home, it never acted up again, but it was never that hot again when we were on the water. Anyway the powerpack failed on it a month later, I'm guessing that it was starting to go bad when I was having the problems on that hot day. It would only be a guess, but what you describe is just like my 60hp did when the powerpack was going out.

johnboyj

Cadet

I agre with guy , i'm having the same prob with my 94 johnson 120 i'm thinking the power pack is getting hot and it may be the same thing that is happening to yours but dont quote me on it.

dmarsh

Recruit

Well, as I mentioned, they couldn't find a problem in the fall, but I took it in this week and within a couple hours, they called me back and said it needed a new power pack. Seems a little early in life for one of those, but I guess it's just one of those things. Hope that does the trick and I can get out fishing by next weekend. Thanks for your posts.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When your engines cut back to approximately 2500 RPM it is usually because the S.L.O.W. function on your system has been activated by the engine overheating. Your horn alarm should give a constant beep whenever this occurs.

S.L.O.W. is reset by turning the engine off and waiting for it to cool. Once enabled it will not reset unless the ignition is turned off.