Temp Sensor Question

yammyman

Seaman
I have an 89 130HP yamaha. I just got this engine and thought I should test the temp sensors. I unpluged the sensors, connected the two plugs on the wire harness side, and turned the key on. The buzzer did not go off. I pulled the buzzer from the control box and attached it to the battery and it sounded. I am puzzled as to why I can't get the buzzer to sound by connecting the two wires that go to it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
David

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Temp Sensor Question

dunno
to test unplug the pink wire at the switch,no sensors, and turn the key on, ground the harness side. buzzer should sound, if not start testing the pink wire back to the buzzer and the yellow wire to the buzzer.
all the switch does is allow a ground path for the buzzer in the event of an overtemp.

jl_photo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how do you test a temp sensor to see if the sensor itself works?

I tried boiling water, not hot enough.

yammyman

Seaman

Thanks RodBolt I am going to try that first thing Monday morning when I get off of work. I appreciate your help

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

switch closes at 183-194*F and opens at 140-165*F.
boiling water is plenty hot enough

yammyman

Seaman

There was a broken "piece" between the pink wires at the motor. This piece was located betweene the two pink wires that plug into the switch and the pink wire that goes to the plug on the engine. What is this, and do I need to get another one???
DSC00250.jpg