1963 75hp Evinrude outboard sat for 11 years

gpm12

Cadet
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and am trying to get some advice on getting an old 1963 75 hp evinrude outboard up and running for this summer. My grandmother said I could have her old boat if I could get it running. Problem is it has sat since 1997 (at which time it was running fine). Now, it is very difficult to manually crank the engine and the starter can only barely crank it (with a fully charged battery and good connection). I pulled out the plugs and sprayed in some penetrating oil over the past few days with only a slight improvement. It seems pretty seized up. A few questions:

1) Do you think it is worth fixing this motor?
2) What could I do to loosen things up and allow the motor to crank easier?
3) Any other suggestions on parts that should be inspected, cleaned, or replaced?

I don't have much time or $$$ to put into this project, but it would be fun to get it running!

Thanks!

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1963 75hp Evinrude outboard sat for 11 years

Key words' being. time, and money. It is probably going to take alot, of one, or the other. Those old engines' can be made to run, but it is going to take some dedication. Probably rusty cylinder walls, and a dirty, oxidized starter just to begin.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

First, you are obviously going to have to find out why it's tight. Make sure the lower unit isn't full of water. If that's OK, remove the four bypass covers, two on each side of the engine block. From there you will be able to look in at the sides of the pistons through the intake ports. You can also use a flashight to peer back into the crankcase. What you find will determine where you go from here. You are looking for rust...and hoping you don't find any. Also, poke at the piston rings to see if they are free in the grooves.

Let us know what you find and we can advise further.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome to iboats gpm12. What sort of environment was the motor stored in? Freezing? Inside? Outside? How does it look on the outside? Can you post some photos? You definitely don't want to run it until you inspect and likely replace the water pump impeller. If you can get it turning over and sparking then you might want to do some inspection of important items like the water pump, gas lines and carburetor before you put fuel in it. A 25:1 fuel mixture probably would be good for it to get it lubed up again when you get it running.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Don't buy any part's, but what it takes to make it run, then you can deal with a water pump, or what ever.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

hello,

in addition to popping the bypass coves to looksee, i would pop the heads. take a look at cylinders. a lot can be done with careful work to the bore to clean it up with 600 grit wet dry and judicial use of gasoline used as a honing agent... all by hand! :) wet the bore lightly, use a vac to suck lightly and sand perpendicular to the bore simultaneously. if the rings are not stuck, you may see it free up nicely. most of the left over residual surface rust if any, will self hone once running.

i would also put some oil then around the bores once clean and slowly move piston thru its paces. apply oil and move then let sit. as it frees then move more... etc.

engines can run in quite poor condition or abuse so long as it has compression, ignition and fuel.

still doing all the work urself and such, the parts no doubt will run in the $200-$300 range depending on the quality of the overall job u do. head gasket, oils, l/u, carbs, etc.

a $250 75HP evinrude and boat is a sure nuff... bargain! :D

good luck

lakester :cool:

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

You are looking for rust...and hoping you don't find any.

rusty bores??? :eek:

hello,

while this is true for sure, also be aware a perfectly good engine can have some light top bore rust if it hasnt run in a few months. it is not red rusty rust, but a light brownish coating. if u hit it with 600 it is clear that it is rust. but it wont hurt anything. one reason not to let them sit. it can accumulate over a long period of time. when i popped my heads i noted my perfectly good running 85HP evinrude had it. also rustish discoloration on bore wall's too. as an expd engine builder none of this caused me any concern. bore walls can stain. i just dressed the top of bore with 600 perpendicular about 3/8ths " or so down, and swiped a ring of oil in there while down. :D

regards
lakester :cool:

gpm12

Cadet

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will open it up and check things out next weekend. Are there any good sites online where one could buy parts for this engine (i.e. gaskets, carb rebuild kits, etc)? My closest Evinrude dealer is 20 miles away and his prices were pretty high ($50 for two head gaskets). Being that I am away at school during the week, I figure I can order parts on Monday and get them by the weekend.

Thanks again for all your help and I will keep you updated on what I find.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You can get the aftermarket head gaskets here at iboats and save a little money. (Sierra 18-2959 for the head gaskets.) You would also need to get the ones for the bypass covers as well Sierra 18-2876.

http://www.iboats.com/Sierra_18_295...18-2959--**********.431447969--view_id.173753

A lot of the parts from the 1968 85HP are the same as for your engine if you want to check out the OEM on-line store.

http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=8dcb6c8c1adbf5ad955286e026c798c6

If you haven't already done so, you might be better off to get a service manual and a parts manual before you get too far advanced in your project.

BTW, Using gasoline with a vacuum cleaner as suggested above is a really bad idea.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

great!!! i recommend laings for one reason, simplicity, they don't have to scrounge around for old part numbers, and crossreferences.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You are right about that. The iboats inventory look up system is one of the worst I've seen. But if you know what you want, their prices are very competitive and their delivery system is excellent.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

With the heads off, I would tilt the motor into a position that puts two of the cylinders into a vertical position and put in some liquid wrench and let it soak overnight. Then repeat on the other 2. Follow up with some light oil before cranking over. Also, a shot of liquid wrench through the ports if you can see the rings sure wont hurt. This stuf will sure help loosen the rings up. Just be sure to follow with oil. These were great old motors. If it ran when put away, it probably too big a problem to have some fun with.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Iboats does have great service, and fast shipping.
there site is hard to navigate unless you have the part number allready.
Other sites are better and more user friendly.
I have been told befoe iboats carrries suh n such a part but could not find it on the site.
even emailed support and they could not come up with cross reference.
I will support site when i find the part numbers on the site, if not
off to laings for the older outboards, or fixboat for the others,
sorry not mean to hijack thread but this site is hard to navigate

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, I ment to say "it's probably NOT too big a problem to have some fun with."