Sound level between Evinrude and Mercury

protour

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking at possibly trading boats from a 1988 Evinrude 150 hp to a 2000 Mercury 200 hp. Does anyone know if the Mercury will be just as loud...outboards being loud in general across the board?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sound level between Evinrude and Mercury

imho yes, if want quieter go 4 stroke.

rndn

Commander

Boat design may also help with the outboard noise. It won't make the motor quiet, you just will not be able to hear it as much. The boat in my signature has the outboard behind an aluminum wll and down and you can carry on a normal conversation while under full throttle.

if you want quiet with power go with an evinrude e-tec.merc is loud compaired to e-tec. I run four 250 e-tecs on my contender way quieter than the mercury

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

My research of may boat testing has shown that at wide open throttle ALL outboards are in the 87 - 89 DB range and it makes no difference if its a four stroke, two stroke, carbed or EFI. The differences are at midrange and lower rpms where the newer technology is a tad quieter. Placement of the engine and hull design can affect readings so an across the board comparison is not really possible unless one used the same boat for all tests. Some pontoons for example have a little bit of a cover over the engine which cuts noise.

protour

Seaman Apprentice

I ditched the Mercury powered boat and test drove a 2005, 150 hp Yamaha 2-stroke V-max. It was more than half as quiet as the old Evinrude and got the boat up to 60 mph, no problem. I did notice that under the cowling there was some oil/gas mixture in the base. From my understanding of 2-strokes, residual mixture is normal once the engine is tilted up, right?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Yamaha tests show that the 150 V-Max runs (depending on boat) at 93 to 100 dB which is hardly quiet. Don't confuse a different sound with necessarily being quieter. In comparison, four stroke mid range engines run in the 87 -89 dB range.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think they all are around the same noise level. But what a sweet noise it is when it is running well. Enjoy it !!!!

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

Here?s a table of engine sound levels compiled from boattest.com tests. These are from similar boat types, (bass and bay boats). While not meant as an exact comparison, as levels were from different boats, it is more objective than personal opinion. It appears the 4-strokes have the edge here.

47b8dd37b3127cceb66dc977d24500000056112BbM2rJsxZM

protour

Seaman Apprentice

I didn't claim it to be quiet, I just said it was more than half as quiet as my 88 Evinrude 150 hp. With the 'rude at max throttle, conversation is impossible on my fish/ski. With the Yamaha at full, I could understand the radio....that's all I'm saying.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I didn't claim it to be quiet, I just said it was more than half as quiet as my 88 Evinrude 150 hp. With the 'rude at max throttle, conversation is impossible on my fish/ski. With the Yamaha at full, I could understand the radio....that's all I'm saying.

But what a sweet sound eh !!!!! The longer winter goes on the more I want to hear it again !!!!!

protour

Seaman Apprentice

...oh, it was very good to be on the water again! It's gonna be a good season.