Is this a major problem?

LoudDog

Seaman
After a long search I finally found a Johnson 9.9hp motor.

One problem, on the lower unit in the water jacket area there is a pretty significant crack. It's on the side aft of the water intake holes. I'm guessing it hit a rock pretty good or something? The lower unit is still solid, I can't move anything.

Can I weld this back up and be good to go? Is JBweld okay? I'm guessing my lower unit is probably significantly weakend for future hits though?

I paid all of $50 for the motor. It needs a new tiller handle, but otherwise it's complete, has good compression, and minus some dirt and rust is not too bad. I haven't tried to fire it up yet, I'm debating pulling the head and checking out the cyliners first.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is this a major problem?

After a long search I finally found a Johnson 9.9hp motor.

One problem, on the lower unit in the water jacket area there is a pretty significant crack. It's on the side aft of the water intake holes. I'm guessing it hit a rock pretty good or something? The lower unit is still solid, I can't move anything.

Can I weld this back up and be good to go? Is JBweld okay? I'm guessing my lower unit is probably significantly weakend for future hits though?

I paid all of $50 for the motor. It needs a new tiller handle, but otherwise it's complete, has good compression, and minus some dirt and rust is not too bad. I haven't tried to fire it up yet, I'm debating pulling the head and checking out the cyliners first.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Any chance you can post one or two of the damage and it will be far easier for everyone to help and advise from there.

LoudDog

Seaman

gouge.jpg

obvioulsly not the actual photo... I'll try to post a photo of the real one tonight. The red line is about where it is. And it's actually maybe more of a gouge then a crack? There is a open gap, no more then a 1/4" at the widest and it runs 2-3" long.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That gearcase is probably busted from the inside. I've seen some pictures of pretty awful corrosion in them, although haven't personally seen them that way. It may involve the water pump intake. Better pull it off and look.

LoudDog

Seaman

It's worse then my memory was this morning and looks worse in the light (was dark when I bought it). Although it looks like it was used plenty after the crack happened as the sharp edges are all smoothed out.

crack.jpg

closer.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'd be looking for a lower unit.

LoudDog

Seaman

I pulled it off. Lots of corrosion inside, but the crack is just in the water jacket area. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a replacement, but I think it's useable as long as I don't hit anything.

I broke off all 6 bolts in the process of getting it off :eek: I should be able to get them out though. This project is off to a bad start...

I'm not looking to part it out yet though!

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

I pulled it off. Lots of corrosion inside, but the crack is just in the water jacket area. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a replacement, but I think it's useable as long as I don't hit anything.

I broke off all 6 bolts in the process of getting it off :eek: I should be able to get them out though. This project is off to a bad start...

I'm not looking to part it out yet though!

Don't give up on that motor. $50 is a steal even though it has the crack. I had the same problem years ago with a 15 HP we had smack a rock. That crack can be welded, but it takes someone who really knows what they are doing. We cleaned the 15 real good, sanded everything down, drilled small holes at the very end of each crack (to prevent the crack from running and getting bigger) and then used a marine putty something like JB Weld. We ran it that way for a couple of years with no ill effects before we finally got it welded. Personally, I wouldn't be looking for another lower unit unless I could really find one for cheap.
Nightstalker

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Don't give up on that motor. $50 is a steal even though it has the crack. I had the same problem years ago with a 15 HP we had smack a rock. That crack can be welded, but it takes someone who really knows what they are doing. We cleaned the 15 real good, sanded everything down, drilled small holes at the very end of each crack (to prevent the crack from running and getting bigger) and then used a marine putty something like JB Weld. We ran it that way for a couple of years with no ill effects before we finally got it welded. Personally, I wouldn't be looking for another lower unit unless I could really find one for cheap.
Nightstalker

I just got a better look at that crack. Maybe replacing the lower unit IS the way to go.
Nightstalker

LoudDog

Seaman

assuming I can get the motor up and running well... I think I'll JB weld it up and use it until I can find a used lower unit at a good price. They seem to go about $150 on ebay.

Note, I need a tiller handle too, which go for $50 on ebay.

If I get it up and running good I suppose $250 for good running 9.9 is still a good deal.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I had JB weld on a crack(not as bad as this one) for 3 years and never had a problem with water getting in or it working lose.
I would be a little leary of welding it unless you know the guy or know people that can attest to his skill level.
I have been an aluminum TIG welder for 20 years and I don't know if I would tackle that,it is so big I would worry about heat warp and when you get alunminum that hot, especially cast, it weakens the metal around the weld.
Jb weld it and a keep an eye out for a replacement.
The lower on my 50 now I got off of Ebay complete with a prop for $146 with shipping, probly the second best deal I have ever gotten, bought a Mazda once for $35( 8 years old,85,000 miles) drove it for 3 years then sold it for $500.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Keep an eye out for a lower unit. Possible to tig weld a thin plate over the entire damaged area. Need to have someone that really knows aluminum tig welding. I have done a few in the past including my Fathers 6hp Evinrude. Tricky but possible.