just got a 54 evrinrude fleetwin 7.5hp help please

jbjennings

Captain
Re: just got a 54 evrinrude fleetwin 7.5hp help please

Praisnm,
You've probably got your coils on wrong--too far out toward the flywheel edge on the mounts, and your flywheel is not sliding past them. But whatever you do, don't go cranking hard on that flywheel trying to tighten it. You should use a torque wrench set for about 45lbs. and if your crankshaft and flywheel is clean and your coils are properly mounted, you should have absolutely no problem getting it on. If you booger that up, you will ruin the flywheel and shear your woodruff key on the crankshaft. Are you lining the flywheel up where the key notch goes on the woodruff key in the crank? Also, I've never bought coils that were a different color, but that's probably no problem. I hate to say it, but you probably should have went for condensors and points as well (they're pretty cheap) so you wouldn't have to wonder about 'em. Show us some pics of your armature plate without the flywheel on it and I think we can easily identify your problem. Be sure to get a close-up of the coils.
Don't worry, you'll get it right. And when it's right, it will really purr just like new and be as easy or easier to crank than a modern motor.
JBJ:)

jbjennings

Captain

Praisnm,
I forgot, you should have 3 screws holding each coil on. I like to put the screws in by hand, get them loose but hand tight, then push on one side of the coil toward the crankshaft and tighten, then do the other side of the coil. You can get them too far from the flywheel and not get good spark, but I've never had that be a problem. I have to take a flywheel off one tomorrow and can post a few pics if you need 'em.
Later,
JBJ

praisnm

Seaman

sorry i am at work now and have no pics...i have pushed the coils back as far as i could...it is a really tight fit too. the coils i got from NAPA it is the same as the ones i showed in the thread on page one i think....it is green. anyway...so i drew a pic here...
coilset-up.jpg

the green is green wire...the green block is the coil part...then the black dots are screw holes...the black wire is the black wire on coil...the grey circle is the condensors...then the condensor black wire...goes to the metal prong thing along with the green wire. that is the exact set-up i have now

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

The edges of the coil feet should be flush with the piece they sit on, the metal bosses that the coil rests on when it's tightened down. Make sure of that, then clean all your wire connections, make sure the points are clean and gapped right (.020 for your motor). Make sure the points are butted up against the crankshaft when they are in place. Then loosen the adjustment screw on the points, turn the prop and watch the crankshaft turn...it's not perfectly round, so when the high spot on the crankshaft contacts the back of the points that set of points will open...that's where you set the gap. You may need to pull and file the surfaces of the points to clean them, then take a plain old clean business card and dampen it with carb cleaner. Put this in the points, let them close and pull the card out to clean the filing grit off the face of the points. Get both points cleaned and gapped, good wire connections, coils lined up flush and then align the slot in the flywheel with the woodruff key in the crankshaft...the flywheel should then drop into place nicely. If there was/is a spring washer around the crankshaft, make sure it is place before you re-install the flywheel...don't know how many times I've had to re-pull a flywheel cause I forgot that. Good luck and keep posting, you're making good progress.

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Praisnm, When you get everything right make sure you use a torque wrench to tighten that fly wheel nut. It is very important. If you don't have one you can rent one for free at Auto Zone.

praisnm

Seaman

how am I suposed to measure the distance of .20? I do not have a micrometer. all I know is that I can turn the crank shaft and watch them open and close. it is open all the way when the top goes across it but it will do that by it's very nature being off set in a slight cam shape. everything looks great...i have not taken a volt meter to it...do not have one. my guess is that my wires are bad...i did cut a little off the end because it was all corroded...i measured one wire at 20in...the other at 30in. I am getting new wires in about an hour

jbjennings

Captain

I think you're on the right track with the wires since they look corroded. As to the .020 points gap, you can check it with a feeler guage. Any auto parts store sells 'em and they're cheap. Or better yet, borrow one from an annoying neighbor. It has a selection of thin metal strips in various thicknesses that slide in between the points so you can measure how far apart they are. I also hear that if the flywheel nut is not torqued properly, then it could shear your crankshaft key. I look forward to hearing the "got 'er done" message!:)
Good luck,
JBJ

freddyray21

Commander

the points are probably dirty. If there is any glaze on them it will not allow them to make contact when the close and the coils will not fire. Get a points file or some 4-600 grit sandpaper and clean them. After cleaning them run a paper between them to get the loose fillings off.

praisnm

Seaman

hey all gotta make this quick..bout to clock into work
last night got some new plug wires...and broke down and got an ignition tuneup kit...i have not tested to see if i get a spark...not too comfortable with high voltage.lol.
do i just put the tip of the plug against the motor head block and give the flywheel a spin by hand? also...what does my plug gap need to be at? i used a sparkplug gapper on my points...the traditional continuous thickening type...to a .020 it all seems good...put all back together the right way...i have the power head on top of the LU and just have to tighten. if i get a spark..then just getting the glass bowl...cleaning my gas tank...should i use laquer thinner?...shake it up in there...then dran into a container...then let it disolve away in a separate conatiner? i'll keep you all posted

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Your plug gap is .030. If you still have no spark with new coils and wires, it's time to clean the points. Yes, ground the plug tip to the block and then spin the flywheel to test for spark...or just have your MIL or BIL hold the wire while you spin the flywheel. If they jump pretty high, you have good spark...don't ask me how I know this. How dirty is the gas tank? If it has old dried out varnished gas in it, you need to clean it by sloshing some carb cleaner in there. Empty it and add some nuts/bolts and shake, shake, shake, then rinse and repeat until the rinse comes out clean. You can also use a high pressure washer to clean the tank, but of course you have to get the water out...which you can do by adding some good old rubbing alcohol to evaporate the water. Tank doesn't have to be spotless, but getting the old crud out is a good idea even though the tank screen and bowl filter on the motor should remove a lot of it. Make sure your lower unit lube is good, too. Pull the drain plug and stick a match stick in there and see what color/consistency the lube is...old and black needs to be changed. Use 80-90W marine lower unit lube. You're making good progress...

praisnm

Seaman

i tried to drain the lower unit oil...i CAN'T GET THE PLUG OUT! i twisted with all the strength i have...and tried my Dewalt Electric Drill...it put of a really bad smell and didn't budge it...i put some wd40 on the screw to loosen...STILL NO MOVEMENT i don't get how you are supposed to fill from the bottom...and watch it come of of the top...sounds like some freaky Majic! lol. Gravity says that it will come out the bottom, lol. i have a bottle like this
100%25-Syn-Lower-Unit-Gear-Lu.jpg

it is not that exactly, but mostly showed the pic to show what tip i have on it...as you see no "pump" on it. i will check the spart tonight once i put the powerhead on the LU..and bolt down...well actually i guess i wouldn't have to..but kinda hard to spin the flywheel...hold the plugs..and hold the powerhead from spinning...also...can i test one at a time...if so should i leave the non testing one in the head?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

That style bottle doesn't work well for the fill from the bottom 'til it comes out the top method. Use either a squeeze tube or a pump. The pump (sold separately) will fit that style bottle.

Test both plugs at same time. You can usually find a spot on the block where the plugs will rest without having to hold them - metal base of plug must be touching the block somewhere to complete the circuit.

Might need an impact driver to remove the drain screw. Or a screwdriver with flat sides on the bar so you can use a wrench for extra leverage. I've had a few like that - usually means a previous owner didn't replace the fiber/nylon washer under the screw. Remove only the slotted screws - not the Philips headed one.
- Scott

praisnm

Seaman

so can I not fill from the top at all

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Filling from the bottom also ensures that all of the air bubbles come out of the lower unit. Get one of those pumps they are cheap, and they make life a whole lot easier, when you do your scheduled lower unit oil changes.

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have to figure out a way to get that bottom screw out. You have to completely drain the old oil out before you add new. If you fill from the top you are just adding new oil on top of old.

wbeaton

Commander

Use an impact driver like Chinewalker suggests. You can pick them up under $10. You will also wonder how you ever got along without one.

praisnm

Seaman

ok, i got the screw out to drain the oil..looked fine...also..i was able to fill it from the bottom with the bottle i have...i was sqeezing so hard it squirted out the top hole, lol. anyway...so i have spark..the motor looks great...i just need to do a couple more things...one which is a new problem i hope some of you may know about...the part that hooks from the fuel line...to the connector on the engine...i am looking at the bottom of it and it looks like 376341...it has the fule line...and air line that will go to the tank...anyway...when i got the motor...it fit on the connector just fine...now all of the sudden, i can't get the thing on there...nothing stuck in it...i can pushe the little thing in the middle...and it goes down far enough to fit the shaft of the fuel and air line...but they stop about 1/3 the way...when loking in the part...it looks like the hole is not big enough once you get past the opening. what do you all think?
i found a pic of the part...
13d9_1.JPG

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I've never heard of the connector not going on. The small hole you see is the rubber O ring inside it to make it seal. There must be something binding it somewhere. Those connectors are worth over $100 new so try to make it work! You might need to change the O rings in it though later to make it seal better if that's an issue... they're a couple of bucks each at the dealer.

wbeaton

Commander

The o-rings are hard and need to be replaced. Part number 301824. Use a pick and pull them out. Then just push the new ones in.

praisnm

Seaman

well, does the o ring just sit in there? i can't believe they cost that much new! i will try taking the o ring out...then slipping the connector on. that way i know that it is the o ring holding it from going on. i even tapped it with a rubber mallet to try to get it on there. it did not budge. i tried cleaning it out with carb cleaner...tried cleaning the posts with it too. i have to have the connector because i will be taking the motor on and off a lot.